October Update for RCE Families
Welcome Back to RCE!
Do you know of someone who is looking for a way to invest in the life of a young person? SDPC has a great partnership with the YMCA that matches up willing adults with students who could use encouragement and accountability to help them be successful. The program asks for 30 minutes a week to check in and support a student of any level in SDPC. To see more information, check out the video clip toward the end of this newsletter.
Click to see the scrolling announcements that your student sees during the day.
October Dates on Campus
2~Junior Apprenticeship Cohort Trip
2~Yearbook Picture Day
3~FB8 vs. Seneca MS (6PM)
4~Grade 8 visit to PCCTC (12-2:30PM)
8~Daniel-Area Digital Parenting Night at RCE (7PM)
10~FB8 v. McCants MS (5:30)
16~PSAT in AM (Grade 8)
16~VB vs. Seneca MS (5:30PM)
17~End of Quarter 1
18~Hat Day Fundraiser for Make A Wish Foundation (Junior Beta Club)
21~Holiday- No School
24~Quarter 1 Report Cards go home
24~FB All vs. Robert Anderson 8/7 (5:30)
25~Pelican SnoBalls during all lunches
29~Strings Concert @ DHS (6:30)
31~Halloween at RCE- Students are encouraged to be creative with what they wear to school.
Dress code still applies and no masks.
Dress Code Reminders
As we anticipate warmer temperatures, here are some reminders about the dress code. To see the district's full policy, go to https://goo.gl/14Drr9
- Provocative and suggestive clothing is not permitted (tight fitting, plunging necklines, etc.).
- Garments worn on the legs (pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, etc.) must have a length that comes to within one inch of the top of the knee with no holes or slits above this line. No sagging, baggy pants are permitted.
- Bare midriffs will not be permitted. The standard used will be that no midriff is visible when the student is engaged in normal movement such as walking, sitting down, standing up, etc.
- Any sleeveless garment must have width on the shoulder area of at least four of the student’s fingers and the arm opening should fit the body closely enough to cover the underarm and the side of the chest areas.
- Mesh or see-through garments are permitted only if a legal garment is visible underneath.
- Underwear should not be seen at any time.
- Headwear (hats, sunglasses, do-rags, skullies, head bands, bandannas, etc.) is not permitted to be worn inside the building.
- No clothing, accessory or visible tattoo that displays inappropriate language or images is permitted.
- Attire, colors, visible tattoos or symbols related to gangs are not permitted.
Thank you in advance for assisting the school in making sure students come to school compliant with the dress code. Please note that SDPC does have a separate dress code for PE classes in order to allow for the higher level of activity expected in this class.
Nearly all students have been issued a Chromebook for the 2019-20 School Year. If you student has not yet received a device, please email JessicaPreisig@pickens.k12.sc.us to let Mrs. Preisig know. If your student is having any trouble with the device, please encourage them to stop by the Media Center to get help or to have the device sent out for repair. We certainly do not want any students to be overlooked as we get started this year.
Every teacher at RC Edwards Middle uses Schoology to post assignments and grades. If you have any questions about using Schoology at home or regarding internet security options, please checkout the links below, which provide a wealth of information.
For several years the middle schools in SDPC have been the recipient of a grant sponsored by AT&T that allowed us to provide wifi hotspots for students to take home. This grant expired at the end of last school year and is no longer available. Please communicate with teachers if your child is having trouble due to internet concerns.
These documents provide information about creating an account, adding students to existing accounts, and setting up your parent account in Schoology.
Beginning October 11, 2017, you can receive a weekly email from Securly.com that will show you a preview of your child’s online activity. Click here for details!
#teamRCE & Panther Huddle
This year we are implementing our own "house" system designed to provide opportunities to build community and character. Please see the presentation link below to find out about this exciting new initiative at RCE!
High School Shuttle Bus
This is an excellent resource regarding student policies and procedures for our school.