What kind of education are requires to be a cardiothoracic surgery?
Students must complete an undergraduate degree program before going on to medical school and Prospective heart surgeons must also complete four years of medical school. Graduates must pass the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) in order to practice medicine in the U.S. After graduating, all aspiring surgeons must complete a 5-year general surgery residency.After completing a general surgery residency, those who wish to become heart surgeons need to complete an additional 2- or 3-year internship in cardiothoracic surgery.
What are some of there duties?
- Performs patient histories and physical exams
- Handles daily patient rounds (including the CVICU), patient education and discharge summaries
- Performs invasive procedures, such as thoracenteses, chest tube insertions, placement of central venous, dialysis and Swan-Ganz catheters, arterial lines and intra-aortic balloon pumps
- Exhibits autonomy in the operating room when required
- Retrieves vascular tissue, including greater and lesser saphenous veins and/or radial arteries, for use as a bypass conduit
- Often uses endoscopic retrieval methods and involved in the industrial aspect of EVH
- Performs first assistant duties on all adult and pediatric cardiac cases, thoracic and major/minor vascular cases
- Meets the specific needs of the attending surgeon, often assisting several surgeons in a single practice
- Has exacting knowledge of each surgeon's idiosyncrasies to expedite the procedure and limit patient morbidity and mortality
- Uses knowledge of medical model to promote synergistic relationship between physician and PA
- Has extensive knowledge of the pharmacologic effects of vasoactive/ cardiotonic drugs, ventilator management and artificial cardiac devices
- Performs duties of a primary care PA
- Manages other disease entities frequently encountered in the cardiac population, namely hypertension, diabetes, COPD, asthma, hypothyroidism and others
How much do they get paid?
they typically receive a median expected salary of around 408,423 per year. they potentially make a very high income of more than 200,000 per annum. An average yearly salary earned range between 122,833-553,736 per year. while the average hourly wage ranges between 59.09 to 110.84 per hour