Week of: September 17 - September 21
When considering instructional practices and how we are engaging our kiddos - do you ever consider what was it that you asked the kids to DO? What are they doing? Keep in mind that the one who does the work, does the learning!
These first 6 weeks of school have been packed with opportunities for learning, building relationships and most importantly loving the good work you do each and every day. Next week we change mindsets and focus on "Passions First" - If you pursue your passions first and foremost, you will be happier, more successful, and more excited to get up every day. You will uncover an energy and drive you didn’t know existed. I truly believe this is the reason we have the energy we do at McAllister ES - We have educators that pursue their passions and show up and show out everyday!
In just a weeks time, there will be an extensive opportunity of learning for ALL of our teachers of reading. We look forward to welcoming our guided reading trainer to campus. Below I have listed the details/expectations of this training:
- Session Dates and assignments:
K: 9/25 Morning
1: 9/25 Afternoon
2: 9/26 Morning
3: 9/26 Afternoon
4: 9/27 Morning
5: 9/27 Afternoon
- Times: Morning- 7:30-10:30 Afternoon-11:30-2:30 PLEASE be prompt if you have coverage.
- Trainer: Tammy Seals
- Location: Professional Learning Room
What to Bring:
- Laptop if you’d like to enter your data into the Scholastic piece (optional)
- Guided Reading folder from last year’s training sessions if you have one. This has trainer notes and copies of important pieces.
- Assessments: Letter/Sound Checklists (pre-a only); Level a+ students= whole group comprehension assessments, word knowledge inventory, running records
- Jan Richardson’s Guided Reading book
What will be covered based on what you have asked for:
K: Testing, Grouping, and next steps
1:Lesson plans and modeling
2: lesson plans and modeling
3-5: Assessments, Grouping and Lesson plans
- September 17, 2018 - Deadline to Submit Application for Rigorous Curriculum Design. Please use this link to apply: https://tinyurl.com/yakajl5m
- September 18, 2018 - Leadership Meeting
- September 20, 2018 – Picture Day – Schedule to be released soon! Be on the lookout!
- September 21, 2018 - TKES Professional & Personal Goal/Plans Due – I understand that there are some questions regarding goals/plans. All plans/goals are showing up with the following:
This step is dedicated to writing a Professional Learning Goal/Plan.
- Induction level teacher or administrator
- Educator returning to the profession after an absence of one or more years
- Educator who is new to Georgia
- Educator who is working in a field that requires a non-renewable certificate
- Educator who is working in a certification field in which the educator has not worked before or has not worked in for a long period of time even though the educator is certified in this field
- Educator whose summative TKES/LKES rating is Level I or II
This is an issue that the state is currently working through, it does not change your plan/goal so please go ahead and proceed.There is technically no place to enter a “personal” goal – It will go under your professional goal/plan once you have entered it into the system. You will have to save & submit in order to add a new goal. If you need help working through the process, please let me know. I have reshared the examples below for your convenience. Please know that I am aware that everyone's is showing up as a plan, this is an error from the state - they are aware and are working through a fix - it will change nothing about how you enter your goal/plan.
- September 25, 2018 – Faculty Meeting – Media Center 3 PM
- September 28, 2018 – Kona Ice will be here serving delicious goodness during your recess times. Information will be passed out to teachers about a week in advance. As always, teachers are served for free!
- October 12, 2018 - "Science for Everyone" - This is an interactive presentation with some amazing standards based experiments and information presented in an incredible way. I have provided a link to more information here. Exact times will be shared in the coming weeks.
- November 16, 2018 - "Heroes Overcome" - This presentation will directly tie in with our 7 Mindsets and be a memorable reminder. My hope is that you all will enjoy this experience!
Rest up this weekend - Spend some time with the ones you love and enjoy the beautiful weather!
With an intentional focus of consistency on being curious & crazy for kids you will ALWAYS find a culture that is student focused!
Have a great week!
Have a WONDERful Week!
Making Moves at McAllister
- From Ms. Hursey: Mr. Moon took the lead with our independent walker crew like a SUPER HERO. All ONE HUNDREDish of our independent walkers are walking the silver line in an orderly fashion. I am thankful for his leadership. He ROCKS! I am glad to work with him and our AMAZING walker team!
- From a Fellow Teacher: Mrs. Loncon is rocking it! She is doing a fab job balancing her new role with Advanced Content learners, handling grade level responsibilities as well as mentoring new teachers! Way to go!
- Being absent from school is tough - Know how to leave your love for ALL of your kids in your absence? Ask Ms. Welsh - She left a handwritten note on the desk of each of her young scholars while she was gone! Way to rock it!
"New Art Rotation"
In a school of over 135 it can be hard to know everyone's name...Have you had a chance to look at the staff directory where pictures of our staff members can be located?
Click this link to see all of the awesome things our teachers have posted on twitter this week. Always remember to use the #MESrocks when posting to keep these items united!