Why we should learn a lesson from Sleeping Beauty
What Exactly is Sleep?
Why is Sleep important?
How does Sleep Work?
Melatonin is a hormone which regulates the rhythms in the body. Melatonin has been linked to the sleep/ wake cycle. The levels of melatonin increase at night and decrease during the morning hours which decreases our desire to sleep.
What happens when you don't get enough sleep?
- You will most likely be irritable throughout the day
- Concentration and accuracy with tasks will be negatively affected
- Your body will miss the important period of recuperation which keeps you alive
- Sleep reduces energy consumption so that we only need 3 meals per day, when lacking sleep the opposite is true, you will be hungrier and increase food consumption
- You will have reduced immunity and increased sickness
How much sleep is enough?
If I'm not getting enough sleep how can I improve?
- Avoid caffeine after 4pm
- Don't drink alcohol before bed
- Put electronic devices away half an hour before you plan on falling asleep
- Keep a regular sleep pattern
Dangers of sleep infographic
How much sleep chart