Wolf Call Weekly
Welcome to this week!
HELLO WOLF PACK STUDENTS AND FAMILIES,
Welcome to this week!
We hope that you are enjoying your quarter 4 classes. As we continue to move through quarter 4, we have some resources and information that we would like to remind you about in this Week's Wolf Call Weekly.
If you have a questions about your Quarter 4 classes, contact your teacher via email or during their scheduled availability.
In an effort to continue improving communication to our families and community of West Hills High School, please take a moment to review the weekly, informative messages below. Are you looking for previous editions of the Wolf Call Weekly? The West Hills website has them as a resource. (Info, Wolf Call Weekly)
We encourage your participation as an active reader of these communications that will help bridge our communication between WHHS and Students & Families. Thank you for your continued support for all students at West Hills!
Robin Ballarin, Principal
Apri Baker, Assistant Principal (A-G)
Carrie Gaeir, Assistant Principal (H-O)
John Hoadley, Assistant Principal (P-Z)
Cyndi Nowlen, Manager of School Facilities
"For me, when I get knocked down, I really try to get back up and go at it again. I don't like to give up."
Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month
We continue to celebrate diversity, celebrations, and multicultural holidays. In the month of May, we focus on Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month to celebrate and pay tribute to the contributions and the generations of Asian and Pacific Islanders that have shaped American history, society and culture.
Looking for more information? Click HERE.
Student Tutorial Schedule for Q. 4 has Posted!
Important Dates for May-July 2021
- May 22, 2021- Senior Prom
- May 24, 10:30am-12:30pm: Senior Breakfast
- May 27, 6:00 pm: Senior Awards (Live Zoom)
- May 31: Memorial Day, no school
- June 7 : Senior Car Parade
- June 8 : Graduation (details TBD)
- June 14-July 2: Session 1 of Summer School
- July 6-July 23: Session 2 of Summer School
Thank you Seniors!
Yesterday, our Seniors took their CAST exam. Testing was done virtually on and off campus! A big shout out to all Seniors who were able to complete their testing. We had very few "hick ups" and we were able to resolve them quickly.
If you missed your testing and would like to take the test, we will be offering a make up session on May 17th at 9:45am. Use the zoom link below to login to get your testing instructions. All make up testing will be done remotely.
This zoom link (passcode: pack21) will open at 9:45 am on May 17th, the day of testing.
Questions? Please contact Assistant Principal John Hoadley.
Grade 11 CAASPP Make Ups
Grade 11 CAASPP Make Ups
*If you completed your testing during the week of April 26-30th, DISREGARD THIS MESSAGE.*
- Certain Grade 11 students did not complete their Grade 11 CAASPP testing the week of April 26th-30th.
- We are offering 2 make up sessions ONLINE and VIRTUAL to complete testing on May 17th and 24th.
- See testing times and dates by clicking HERE.
Attention! Are you a attending Prom??
Important items to highlight in the update linked above:
- Read and review THIS memo about the San Diego County Public Health requirements to attend Prom.
- WHHS CANNOT sell tickets after May 17th at 3:30 PM. You must complete your Prom ticket purchase at our Finance Office no later than May 17th. The Finance Office hours are 7am-11:45am and 1pm-3:30PM daily.
- All Seniors must complete ONE COVID-19 RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY AGREEMENT to participate in Senior Activites
- See the Class of 2021 memo for more info on Senior Breakfast, Prom, Car Parade, and other events!
Also, check the Senior Page for updated Senior Information:
- (WHHS Home Page > Students >Senior Event Information)
We are very proud to announce your Valedictorian, Samantha James and two Salutatorians, Nicole Luna and Sean Willweber! We are very proud of each of you and your highest levels of academic achievement!
Congratulations to the entire Class of 2021 on your upcoming graduation! Please see this information for students and this information for parents and guests for critical updates including limited tickets to attend graduation (BUT we have LIVE STREAMING) and what to do about parking (do NOT park on Mast Blvd. You will get a ticket!)
We are VERY EXCITED to be able to hold a single Graduation Ceremony this year given the improved public health conditions. We still have requirements for social distancing, wearing of face masks, and no congregating on campus before or after the ceremony, but WE CAN CELEBRATE YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS and your "walk across the stage"!
We will be sending out more information to Seniors regarding the ceremony itself so please be on the lookout for that in the next two weeks.
Finish strong Seniors....Go Wolf Pack!
It is the 5th week of this last quarter of this school year and we want to remind you to stay connected with your classes and your teachers!!
Click HERE for the complete newsletter!
Also, our Counseling Department is offering 4 different workshop topics this month.
Sign up for any that you would like to attend HERE
1) UC Advantage Workshop (Tuesday, May 18 - 2:00pm - 3:00pm)
- This workshop will teach students how to best present themselves on applications for the University of California (UC) schools. We will share tips and tricks and also help students find ways to add to their advantage now.
2) Career Education/Trades/Apprenticeships Workshop (Tuesday, May 18 - 5:30pm - 6:30pm)
- This workshop will introduce students to a variety of opportunities in the trade/career technical fields. Students will learn about apprenticeships as well as other programs available to them in the trades when they graduate from West Hills High School.
3) Military/First Responders Workshop (Wednesday, May 19 - 2:00pm - 3:00pm)
- This workshop will introduce students to the various routes available to them if they choose to serve in the Armed Forces. Information will be shared with students regarding what it takes to become a firefighter, police officer, sheriff, or other first responder as well as introducing to them opportunities they can take advantage of now to gain experience and make connections in their chosen field.
4) Job Preparation Workshops (Thursday, May 13 - 3:00pm - 4:00pm OR Monday, May 17 - 3:00pm - 4:00pm OR Friday, May 21 - 3:00pm - 4:00pm)
- This workshop will help prepare students for employment now or in the near future. Topics will include: filling out applications, resume building/writing, mock interview preparation, etc. Please only sign up for 1 date as these workshops will be the same each of the dates listed.
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you there!
~The Counseling Department
Grossmont College Family Orientation
GCC will be hosting Family Orientations in English, Spanish, and Arabic this year.
During Family Orientation, families will have the opportunity to join us virtually and learn about the Onboarding Process, Counseling Services, Financial Aid and Scholarships, and Grossmont-Cuyamaca College Promise.
The flyer in all three languages with the zoom registration links embedded on the flyer and Family Orientation website. We ask that families register before the event and the zoom details will be sent to them.
Transcript Request Guide
If yes, please follow these directions to file a transcript request that can be sent to anyone: schools, scholarship applications, NCAA/NAIA, etc.
Prospective football players
Our workouts are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
You may attend any one of these four time slots: 6:30-7:00 am, 7:00-7:30 am, 3:30-4:00 pm, or 4:00-4:30 pm.
Dress in workout gear and meet in front of the weight room no later than 5 minutes before your start time.
Spectators at Sporting Events
Many of you may already be aware that sports are in full swing. We are thrilled that our student-athletes can get back to the sports they love, and know that the West Hills community is too. As much as we would love to see all our Wolf Pack fans in the stands, we must follow strict regulations regarding spectators to ensure that our programs can complete their seasons.
For all sporting events, at home and away, spectators are extremely limited. Each player is permitted a maximum of four “immediate household family members”. Spectators are checked in at the gate. If there are multiple games at one event (i.e., JV and Varsity) the venue must be cleared of all spectators between events. The “immediate household family” cohort must stay seated together throughout the event, and masks are required. In addition, no children are permitted to an event without a parent or guardian.
We look forward to the day when all our Wolf Pack supporters can attend our events. Until that time comes, we appreciate your cooperation as we implement these regulations.
Thank you and GO WOLF PACK!
The West Hills Administration Team
Last week our committee meet and discussed many different items!
Our sub-committees were the idea of students in our committee at large and are student lead! We welcome all who want to work on our racial, gender, religious and cultural equity issues within our community.
You may read the notes from our latest meeting here.
Our next meeting is May 20th from 4:00-5:00pm via Zoom.
SUMMER SCHOOL UPDATE
West Hills plans to offer two sessions of Summer School this year! Students who have failed (F) a course that is needed for graduation will have priority.
The tentative dates are: Session 1 - June 14-July 2 and Session 2 - July 6 - July 23.
Our goal is to have as many Summer School courses in-person/on campus as possible but will have some online options for those who are continuing in distance learning.
Thank you and GO WOLF PACK
Mental Health Resources
Our Teacher Librarian Mrs. Sannwald, has created a wonderful Mending Matters Resource Library page! Click HERE to check it out!
If you are in need of any mental health resources, please reach out to your Guidance Counselor or our Mending Matters resources linked above.
In the event you are in crisis after school hours,
please call 9-1-1 or go to a hospital immediately to get professional help.
A Friendly Reminder...
- to WEAR FACE MASKS at all times while on campus INCLUDING SPORTING EVENTS: This is NOT optional.
- if you are wearing a clear face shield, you MUST WEAR A FACE MASK in addition to the face shield.
Neck and Face Gaiters Reminder
- Also, The CDC has updated their website and our District has asked us to make sure we are not allowing neck and face gaiters on campus any longer.
- Please see the CDC page here for more information.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Connect with WHHS
Mending Matters: @mendingmatters
WHHS Distance Learning Hub: https://sites.google.com/guhsd.net/whhs-hub/home