September 10, 2018
Letter from Mrs. McClure
We have had a wonderful start to the school year! Even though hot weather was upon us, our students got back into the swing of things without missing a beat. They are adjusting to their new schedules, classes, and teachers while making new friends. As we embark on this year, students will be listening to a children's book entitled, Sticks and Stones, and writing a goal for how others can "Count on Me" this school year. We will be discussing ways that we can help out others at school and out in the community. This theme will be revisited throughout the year as we work to create a school environment where kindness is spread to others and students feel supported by their peers and staff. We welcome all of our parents to join us too in this mission of spreading kindness this school year. #countonme
This past week, students and staff participated in their first tornado drill. Our students did a phenomenal job with this first drill! We were so proud of them. We will also be practicing fire, lockdown, and evacuation drills in the upcoming weeks of school. Staff will go over the procedures for these drills with students in advance so that they are prepared for the drill or in the event that these procedures need to be executed. Keeping your children safe is our top priority everyday! Thank you for entrusting our staff with your children day in and day out.
Please read below for more information to learn about upcoming events and Alward news! I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Mrs. Melanie McClure
Count on Me-Alward Students and Staff Making a Difference
School Breakfast and Lunch
- I want to invite parents to apply for free and reduced lunch at www.lunchapp.com. This is something that you need to apply for every year. It's a free and easy application, so check it out today!
- We serve breakfast every morning. The cost is $1.30. If you qualify for reduced lunch prices, the cost is $0.30.
- Please to to http://www.jenhudfood.org/ for additional information on school lunches.
- First PTC Meeting: Monday, September 17 at 7:00 p.m. in the Alward library. We will have a brief update on PTC information, an update from Mrs. McClure and updates from classroom teachers on what is taking place in the classrooms. We will then follow with a special featured presentation from Mrs. McClure on Technology Use at School! All are invited to attend!
- Walk-a-thon Updates:
- Save the Date-Friday Oct 5 is the Alward Superhero Walkathon. Be on the lookout for more information coming home next week.
- Parents if you own a business or work for a business that is interested in an opportunity to help sponsor walkathon and get a great opportunity to advertise your business, please contact Andi Butler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One of our goals with Walkathon this year is to give every student at Alward a t-shirt. Therefore, we will need all students' t-shirt sizes. Please fill out the google form below. You will need to fill out a new google form for each child. Thank you so much!