Number 4 in The National Health Priority Areas
What is Mental Health?
Why is mental health a concern in Australia?
Mental Health is a concern in Australia as it is becoming more and more common everyday. Almost half of Australians will experience a mental illness at some point in their life. It is also very common that they won't tell anyone, which is not good as it makes all of these emotions build up inside of you until one day you cannot take it anymore. Talking to someone about how you are feeling can really help you overcome your mental illness.
How can you overcome a mental disorder?
- Talk to someone close to you that you know will listen and support you
- If you don't feel comfortable talking to someone about it start by writing a diary or journal about your feelings and what goes on in your daily life
- Make sure that you are in a healthy environment
- Stay away from illicit drugs and alcohol
- Don't isolate yourself, be with close friends and family
- Join a support group