Liberty House News
September 13, 2019
End of Week 3 Updates
Hello Liberty House Faculty and Families!
It has been so nice to see our returning students settling back into a routine and watching our new students ease into their transition to Nathan Hale! We are excited to meet you all at Open House next Wednesday, September 18th at 6:50 PM (beginning in the Auditorium).
In the meantime, here are some of the other things Liberty House is planning for the near future, plus other NHMS events...
- Next week - NWEA MAP testing (Reading)
- Homework Club is back! Beginning on Tuesday, September 17th we will be running Homework Club. This is an opportunity for ANY student in Liberty House to get any support needed with homework and other assignments in any class. Homework Club will run most Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM in Mrs. Jones' classroom, Room 207. All 6th, 7th, and 8th Graders are welcome!
- Late September - Start With Hello Week (more info to come)
- (Date not finalized yet) Last spring, the artist 5iveFingaz visited with Liberty House and shared the story behind the Love More Than Ever movement. If you're not familiar with 5iveFingaz, you can view his website and this #LMTE movement video to learn more about him. You can also scroll down this newsletter to see the piece of art Mrs. Jones found last February during his Free Art February Scavenger Hunt - it's in her classroom now! This year, I've invited him back to lead our House in our own art movement. October is National Bullying Prevention Month and our art will be tied to kindness. We will be working with him to collectively create a piece of art to hang in the Liberty hallway. We will definitely need assistance in purchasing all of the materials and possible parent volunteers to help organize/facilitate on the day. A Sign-Up Genius and more info will be coming soon.
- Veteran's Day - We will be holding special grade-level activities for students in Liberty House on or around Veteran's Day. Grade 6 students will be working around the theme of "who are veterans and why do we honor them?". Grade 7 students will be working with the theme of "how do we honor veterans?" while our Grade 8 students complete a Day of Service in the community. We will be sending more details soon, but if you would like to volunteer in some way or if you are a Vet or know a Vet who would be willing to come to NHMS and speak to our 7th Graders on or around Veteran's Day, please let me know. A guide of speaking points will be provided and student questions will be pre-screened. If you have other ideas about how to create a meaningful experience for students on this day, please email Amy Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or Angie Nida at email@example.com.
- Picture Day has been rescheduled for Nov. 6th.
Have a great weekend!
- the Liberty House Faculty