Voyager Family News
Silver Strand Elementary School January 21, 2019
Spotlights and Reminders
- NOTE: There is no school this MONDAY (1/21) in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- Welcome to Spring Semester! Our year is officially halfway over! Semester 1 Report Cards will be sent out to families through your students on January 25th.
Winter Enrichment Clubs are starting soon! Click here for calendar and descriptions, and check PeachJar for notices from specific clubs.
We are holding a Disaster Drill on Thursday at 1:10 PM (rescheduled from last week) including an evacuation to our blacktop area.
Congratulations to Lori Blauert, newly elected to SSES Site Council, and who joins parent representatives Sarah Jackson and Leslie Broussard along with staff representatives. Our first meeting is Wednesday at 3 PM and all are welcome.
Our Winter MAP (Measures of Academic Progress) testing window begins next week and extends into February. Kindergarten and 1st graders test in math only; 2nd through 5th graders also test in Reading and English-Language Arts. Score reports will be provided by teachers after testing is complete. For more information about MAP testing, click here.
Silver Strand will be participating in the Great Kindness Challenge during the week of January 28-February 1; see this link for more information on how you can incorporate kindness activities at home!
The Coronado Optimist Club is sponsoring their annual Speech/Oratorical Contest for students of ALL ages on Wednesday, February 27th from 3:30-6:30 on the topic "Is There a Fine Line Between Optimism and Reality?" Please see application materials here.
Buy your Silver Strand Yearbook for $20 here: https://bit.ly/2qREOAc
- This week’s theme is HEROES: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is a national hero. Who are your heroes and role models and why?
Silver Strand Safety and Security Support from Karen Pierro
Safety During Rainy Drop-Off & Pick-Up:
It has been a WET winter, and we have experienced some close calls during busy traffic times. Please take a few moments to review the following safety protocols:
1) Morning Curbside Hosts and our adult safety team will still assist with student drop-off/arrival when it is raining. Please follow the usual protocol and traffic patterns to keep things running smoothly.
2) As always, PLEASE do not drop your children off before 7:55 a.m. since there is not be adequate adult supervision.
3) On inclement weather mornings, students will assemble and wait in Strand Hall instead of outside. Teachers will meet them there to escort them to class.
4) Please be patient during rainy day drop-off & pick-up! Give yourself enough time in the a.m. and also designate a meeting spot with your kids for dismissal so they can find you in a safe manner. The roundabout will be more crowded on these rainy days and adults/children will be in a hurry, so safe driving is VERY appreciated.
5) Lastly, ALWAYS USE THE CROSSWALKS when approaching our campus! We all need to model safe behavior for our kids!
As always, THANK YOU for keeping our school SAFE!
Student Council News
- Student Council is excited to sponsor their next community project: Souper Bowl of Caring! Please bring donations of soup (in boxes, cartons, cans, and bags) through February 1. All items will be donated to a local food bank.
- In conjunction with the Great Kindness Challenge, Student Council is promoting a week of Spirit Dress Days from January 28 through February 1. See this link for specific dress days.
- PTO is hosting a Family "Masquerade" Dance on Friday February 1 from 5:30-7:30, with dinner provided. Donations of juice boxes are requested. 4th and 5th graders may be dropped off with a permission slip and check in and out from parents. Permission slip and more information to follow!
- Next PTO Meeting is February 14.
- March's Family Fun Night will be a Lip Sync Contest--save the date: March 1!
- Buy your Silver Strand Yearbook for $20 here: https://bit.ly/2qREOAc
- Please help us populate our yearbook with photos of our students and events by posting photos you take throughout the year at http://sw.balfour.com/tops-services/publicupload/loginForm; Enter project number 925811
Thank you to our parent volunteers who put our yearbook together!
Calendar of Upcoming School Events
THIS WEEK: NO SCHOOL MONDAY
MON 1/21 NO SCHOOL/DR. MLK, Jr. DAY
WED 1/23 3PM: School Site Council Meeting (location TBD); all are welcome
THUR 1/24 8:30-9:30 AM: MAP testing in 4th grade
1:10-1:30 PM: Disaster Drill
FRI 1/25 FRIDAY FLAGPOLE
5th GRADE COLONIAL DAY
NEXT WEEK: GREAT KINDNESS CHALLENGE/SPIRIT WEEK/LATE START THURSDAY
MON 1/28 Spirit Day: Kindness Rocks! (Rock ‘n’ Roll inspired)
TUES 1/29 Spirit Day: Peace, Love, Hope, & Kindness (groovy 60s/70s tie- dye/peace signs)
8-9: 5th Grade MAP testing
WED 1/30 Spirit Day: Dreaming of a Kinder World (PJs)
THUR 1/31 LATE START DAY
Spirit Day: Powered by Kindness (Super Hero)
FRI 2/1 Spirit Day: Strand Kids are Kind! (Silver Strand gear)
10 AM: 2nd Grade MAP Testing
5:30-7:30 PM: PTO Family Fun Night/Dance
ON THE HORIZON:
February 3-9: National School Counseling Week
February 14: PTO Meeting
Coronado School Foundation Events and Updates
Coronado’s Got Talent Show, presented by Alan Kinzel Realty Group and Donna Salof, is February 23 at the Coronado Performing Arts Center. All proceeds from ticket sales benefit Coronado Schools Foundation www.csfkids.org.
Support our programs through donations to CSF here: https://csfkids.org/
Mark your calendars for these upcoming events:
Thursday, March 14, 4:30-9PM: CSF Telethon
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Coronado SAFE supports healthy families and children through workshops/"coffee talks," school programs, speakers, and counseling.
- Monday February 11, 6:30-8:30 PM in the CHS Theatre: Presentation on "The Life of Kids Online and What Parents Need to Know"
See https://coronadosafe.org/ for more information and to register for upcoming events.
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/