The Gayman Gazette
January 17, 2013
Upcoming Important Dates
- January 20th – Martin Luther King Jr. Day – No School
- January 20th – CB Cares Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service @ Gayman Elementary
- January 21st - First Day of Winter Clubs
- January 24th – Spelling Bee
- January 24th – Early Dismissal @11:55 AM (PM Kindergarten Attends - No AM Kindergarten)
- January 24th – American Red Cross Blood Drive @ Gayman Elementary from 2:00 PM – 7:00 PM
- January 24th – 6th Grade Club Event at Bear Creek @ 3:30 PM
- January 27th – No School – Staff Development Day
- February 3rd – 6th Grade PEN Robotics @ Warwick
- February 5th – Report Cards Distributed
- February 17th – President’s Day – No School
- February 20th – Spotlight on Music – Grade 2 @ 6:30 PM
- February 20th – Spotlight on Music – Grade 5 @ 7:30 PM
- February 21st – Staff Pillo Polo Game @ Tohickon
- February 21st - 6th Grade Club Event @ Happy Tymes
- February 27th – Home & School Meeting @ 7:30 PM
Revisions to our Elementary Report Card and Portfolio Conferences
Communication between school and home about a child's academic progress and personal growth should occur throughout the school year. As we continue to revise our current student reporting system in preparation for the 2014-2015 school year, we want to make you aware of resources available to the Gayman community. Mark your calendar for Monday, April 7th at 7:00 PM. Central Bucks staff will make a presentation to the East Cluster at Cold Spring Elementary School.
Additional resources are also now available for your review regarding the new Standards-Based Progress Reporting System . . . Simply click the links below for more information:
Updated School Calendar
On January 14th, the School Board approved the following revisions to the district calendar:
o Monday, January 27th will no longer be a “snow make-up day." Instead, it will remain a Professional Development Day – no school for students.
o Monday, April 21st has been changed from a "possible snow make-up day" to an actual make-up day. School will be in session for all students.
o The last day of school has been moved from June 12th to Friday, June 13th, barring future snow events. June 12th will be a full day; June 13th will be Early Dismissal.
Please click here to see the current, revised calendar.
Please click here to view the newly approved one-page calendar for 2014-2015.
Pint Size Hero Program
Gayman Elementary is partnering with the American Red Cross to host a blood drive on Friday, January 24th from 2:00 PM until 7:00 PM in the cafeteria. This week students attended an assembly entitled "Pint-Size Hero" program. The program is designed to teach elementary students facts about blood donation while hosting a blood drive as a school-wide community service project. While recognizing elementary students are too young to donate blood, they will be encouraged to invite eligible blood donors to donate on their behalf.
If you would like to support the American Red Cross by donating blood please click here.
January Boomerang Award
This year, Gayman will continue to accept nominations for the Boomerang Award, which is our way of honoring students who best demonstrate their own developmental assets. What are Developmental Assets? Students possessing a combination of “40 Assets” are typically most successful in school and in life. These assets have the power to influence choices young people make and help them become caring, responsible adults. For a complete listing of the 40 Developmental Assets visit: www. Search-institute.org.
January #9-Service To Others: Young person values service to others, in their family, school, or community. He/she commits to meaningful and caring actions.
Winners Crowned In Pet Essay Contest
In November three students in Mrs. Coler's classroom participated in the Doylestown Veterinary Hospital and Holiday House Essay Contest. Phoebe Vallapureddy won the Essay Contest with Orla Bartley and Jake Gutkind close runners-up.
The essays appeared in the January 9, 2014 edition (page 31-D7) of the Bucks County Herald. To view photos of the winners and finalists along with the essays please click here.
Last Friday afternooon Home & School sponsored Game Day with pretzels for all! After working hard all week it was the perfect way to end the day!!
Friday, January 17, Morning Newscast
This morning's newscast is available for viewing below. Please click on the picture.