Electric Eel


Electric eels have a water snake-like appearance. Electric eels are over seven feet long and weigh at least forty pounds. They have tiny scales, and the bottom of their body is lighter than the top. They also have a red underside. They have very long tails. In fact 80% of their body is the tail. The tail contains the electric eel’s electric organs, and the electric shock is 300-600 volts of electricity. This fish doesn't breathe like normal fish. 25% of their oxygen is from their gills but the other 75% is with their large mouth. They have lots different kinds of fins. They have pelvic, annual, lacking, caudal, and dorsal fins, and have small eyes and has terrible eyesight. Their eyes are usually green or blue. They have small ears.


The habitat of the electric eel is the Amazon Rainforest. Electric eels live in South America in the Amazon River and the Orinoco River. They prefer shallow, muddy water and swamps near plants and mossy rocks. They live in freshwater only. Electric eels live by the banks, so they don't have to swim up so far to get oxygen. Their babies live in nests made of air bubbles by the banks of the swamps.


Electric eels have strange ways of hunting and eating. They are nocturnal hunters. Young electric eels have bursts of electricity that can stun their prey. The adults have bursts of electricity that kills their prey. Over 600 volts of electricity that's given off. That is five times as much as an U.S. wall socket. Electric eels eat piranhas, crabs, fish, water beetles, shrimp, frogs, worms, alligators, and dead animals.

Friends and Enemies

The electric eels have relatives and very little enemies. Electric eels are related to the knifefish and characin fish. Their only real threat are humans. People harm this fish by taking their food. Electric eels are also taken for aquarium trade and are harvested for human consumption.


Dyck, Sara Van. Electric Eels. Minneapolis: Lerner Publications, 2008. Print.

"Electric eel." Britannica School. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 2016. Web. 23 Feb. 2016. <http://school.eb.com/levels/middle/article/32277>.

"Electric Eel." Electric Eel. Web. 22 Feb. 2016.

"Electric Eel - Electrophorus Electricus - Details - Encyclopedia of Life." Encyclopedia of Life. Web. 22 Feb. 2016.

"Electric Eels, Electric Eel Pictures, Electric Eel Facts - National Geographic." National Geographic. Web. 19 Feb. 2016.

"Electrophorus Electricus (Electric Eel)." Animal Diversity Web. Web. 19 Feb. 2016.

Scheff, Duncan. Electric Eels. Austin, TX: Raintree Steck-Vaughn, 2002. Print.