LGBTQ New Propaganda in Russia
Russia decriminalized homosexual relationships in 1993. Also transgender Russians have been allowed to change their legal gender on identity documents since 1997. Although this is all legal, a lot of Russians are against this. In Moscow a new law was passed banning the propaganda of non-traditional sexual relationships to minors. For example they are now trying to make a law which proposes jailing people for public displays of non-heterosexual orientation or gender identity. LGBTQ people are not able to express themselves without being discriminated.
- On January 19 introduced a bill which proposes jailing people for public displays of non-heterosexual orientation or gender identity.
- Same-sex couples are ineligible for legal protections
- The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association rates Russia as the least protective country in Europe for LGBT cItizens
- In Moscow a new law was passed banning the propaganda of non-traditional sexual relationships to minors
- Foreigners are also subjected to 15 days of prison and deportation from Russia
- Homosexuality has been declassified as a mental illness since 1999
- Although gays and lesbians are allowed to serve openly in the military, there is an official "Don'y ask, don't tell policy
- Recent polls indicate that a majority of Russians are against the acceptance of homosexuality and have shown support for laws discriminating against homosexuals
- A number of Russian LGBT people are seeking asylum in the United States
- A 2013 survey found that 74% of Russians said homosexuality should not be accepted by society (up from 60% in 2002), compared to 16% who said that homosexuality should be accepted by society
Violations of UDHR
In the UDHR many rules have been violated in Russia. These are a few
- #1- We are all born free and equal. Even though being an LGBTQ person is not illegal a lot of people are not treated equally
- #2 & #5- Don't discriminate/ No torture- LGBTQ people are discriminated for not being as people say "straight" they are harassed and beaten by people who do not agree with this
- #16- Marriage and family- LGBT couples who want to adopt children are not given the right because they are not the normal heterosexual coupe they believe is right.
Russian LGBT Network
Russian LGBT Network is a non-governmental human rights organization that promotes equal rights and respect for human dignity, regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity