Extra!Extra! Village Families
Week of 10/25/2021
Our teachers attended valuable trainings on our new English-Language Arts curriculum this week. We are so grateful for the committed substitute teachers who served our students!
- 10/27 Wednesday: Early Release at 1:40;
- 10/28 Thursday: Picture Makeup Day for students who missed earlier this month.
- 10/29 Friday: Seasonal Spirit Day: Simple Costumes/Fall gear; 3rd Grade In-Person Friday Flagpole
PLAN AHEAD!! Family/Parent Conferences, Week of November 1-5: During this week, all students grades K-5 will release at 1:40 (Wednesday schedule) EVERY DAY. Conferences will be held via Zoom; classroom teachers will reach out to families to schedule.
Classroom Volunteers: Village is preparing to welcome FULLY VACCINATED family members to volunteer in classrooms and programs. Volunteers must be cleared first. Please follow the guidelines here and fill out this survey.
HALLOWEEN COSTUMES DRIVE:
Girl Scout Troop 6561 is collecting old and gently used Halloween costumes. Take this opportunity to clean out your closets and make a child's Halloween special! The costumes will be donated to the Monarch School for underprivileged children in San Diego. We encourage you or your child to bring in costumes and drop them off in the bin in your school's office. The drive will begin on Monday, October 11th and end on Friday, November 5th, giving you the opportunity to give old costumes for this Halloween, and then donate your recent costumes for the kids next year. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your support!
November 1-5, 2021 Parent Conferences/Early Release at 1:40 PM
**Parent Conferences will be held by ZOOM**
November 11, 2021 Veteran’s Day Holiday/No School
November 12, 2021 Teacher Workday/No School for Students
November 22-26, 2021 Thanksgiving Holiday/No School
Dec 20-January 3, 2022 Winter Holiday/No School
January 17, 2022 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday/No School
January 27, 2022 End of Semester 1
January 28, 2022 Teacher Workday/No School for Students
January 31, 2022 Start of Semester 2
February 18-21, 2022 Presidents’ Weekend Holiday/No School
February 24, 2022 Second Semester Open House
March 28-April 8, 2022 Spring Break/No School
April 13-15, 2022 Parent Conferences as Needed/Early Release 1:40
April 18, 2022 District Holiday/No School
April 29, 2022 Silver Strand Luau
May 30, 2022 Memorial Day Holiday/No School
June 16, 2022 5th Grade Promotion/Last Day of School/Early Release
Spirt Day: Dress like a Book Character Up or Superhero
Village is welcoming our students to wear seasonal tee shirts, outfits or simple costumes, making a connection to their favorite book character or superhero on Friday, October 29th.
No masks, scary makeup, stained hair dye, props, or scary/gore
If your child has the book at home that mirrors their favorite character outfit/costume, please have them bring the book in with them to share. It is not mandatory for students to come dressed in character, but are welcomed to do so, if they so choose. Dressing up is optional. We also do not expect that parents to go out and purchase an additional costume. If you celebrate Halloween and are going to dress up, search online and make the connection to a book character. We are sure you will be able to find any pre-determined costume meet the character connection requirement.
If costume is deemed inappropriate by admin, students will be asked to change. We are using this opportunity to connect to literature in a fun and spirited manner. Thank you for your help in making sure all outfits worn are elementary school age appropriate.
FAMILIES OF LEARNERS OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWS AND UPDATES
I hope everyone is doing well and the start of the school year is going smoothly. As Coronado’s English Language Development teacher, it is my honor to provide you with some important information for the school year and encourage you to attend our District English Language Advisory Committee meetings.
- Our website has been updated and you can find important information specifically for English Learners here: https://coronadousd.net/Departments/Learning/English-Learners/index.html
- We will continue to hold our District English Language Advisory Committee (DELAC) meetings virtually this year.
- Dates: 10/26/2021, 1/25/2022, 4/26/2022
- Time: 5:30 - 6:30 PM
- Zoom Meeting ID: 285 103 4044
- Passcode: learn
- Please have your first and last name listed
- The Alternative ELPAC will launch this year. It is an operational field test spanning Nov. 1, 2021 – Feb. 15, 2022. This is a summative assessment for our students with the most significant cognitive disabilities who are also English learners.
- Reclassifying Students – This can happen any time during the school year. All four criterion must be met for a student to be considered for reclassification to fluent English proficient.
- English Language Proficiency Assessment: Overall ELPAC Level 4
- Teacher Evaluation: Student is prepared to participate effectively in the curriculum at a level equal to the average peer.
- Parental Opinion and Consultation: Parent agrees that the student is ready to be reclassified.
- Comparison of Performance in Basic Skills: Local Assessment score at grade level or higher on a benchmark assessment.
If you have concerns about your child’s progress, please let me know!
Julia Braga, M.Ed.
English Language Arts & Development TOSA
CELL - 619-995-8331
Village Family Movie Night- Sponsored by PTO
Movie Title: Will be announced next week!
Date: November 10th
Time: 5:15 PM
Location: On the Upper Playground (Play Equipment will be off limits)
Cost: Free to All Families
What to Bring: Chairs and Blankets, $ for Concessions, Dress Warm
Pressale of PTO Fundraiser Picnic Baskets will be sold in advance... More details to come!
Students may NOT come unless they arrive with an adult 18 years and older. If you are bringing someone else's child, you will be responsible for their behavior.
Why on a Wednesday Night?
No school on Thursday or Friday!
Thursday, Nov. 11th- Veteran's Day- No School
Friday, Nov. 12th- Teacher Professional Development Day- Non-student day
COVID Protocols- Please Read Carefully
Absences NOT Related to Illness should be reported via pre-COVID protocols (phone/email/paper absence notes). Contact Attendance Technician, Melinda Clay @ email@example.com
Absences - STUDENT ILLNESS: Student Absence Reporting Form:
- USE THIS Village Absence Reporting Form. A member of our COVID Response Team will review the information you submit and contact you for additional information, if necessary. Students who are sick must be cleared before returning to campus. All students who have been absent from school must report to the office before going to class. If their absence has not been cleared, parents will be notified. Thank you for your support in adhering to this policy.
Student Returning to School After CCD: All students must check in at the front office with Mrs. Clay in attendance to receive their health pass if they did not print thiers out when sent to them.
Students Presenting Symptoms of COVID19 (Symptomatic)
Students with Covid-related symptoms must provide documentation of a negative molecular test (PCR, NAAT or LAMP) to return to school. Test results should be emailed to COVIDteam@coronadousd.net. Once the test is accepted, students will receive a “pass” to return to school.
Vaccination Status: The current decision tree allows close contacts who are asymptomatic and vaccinated to remain in school. Please complete this optional form to verify your student’s vaccination status. https://bit.ly/3jBGytn
MASK Protocols: Please take the opportunity to review the district’s mask enforcement protocols and mask guidelines from the CDC with your student. Information can be found by following this link: https://bit.ly/2W2d0MA
Concurrent Curriculum Delivery (CCD) CUSD in collaboration with our teachers, have agreed to provide Concurrent Curriculum Delivery via Zoom to students if they are directed to quarantine or isolate. This program is only available to students directed not to attend in person by the COVID Command Center.
Sample CCD Format for the Elementary Aged Student:
ELA: 1 Hour of Whole Group Instruction with Benchmark and Writing Instruction
Math: Whole Group instruction for 1 Hour and 15 minutes of Number Corner
Sanford Harmony: 15-20 minutes
Specials on Googel Classroom
Social Studies and Science
COVID Team Center: The center is open daily from 8-3. Parents/staff can leave messages and a team member will follow up. Phone: 619-437-1305 Ext:1040
Students earn superhero tickets throughout the week for being safe, respectful, responsible and kind. They can earn them from any adult on campus who sees them exhibiting superhero behaviors.
Each Monday and Friday, after school, students will be able to bring their tickets in to trade for prizes. If they would like to save up their tickets, they can!
15 tickets=1 prize!
If your student has enough tickets to trade in for a prize, they will be escorted to the office before school lets out to pick a prize!
See below for other options.