Message from Mrs. Thomsen
Dear Del Cerro families,
Coffee with Mrs. Thomsen will be held on Thursday, March 12 at 8:30am in the MPR. Please stop by for a chat and a cup of coffee. Bring your ideas, questions, or concerns. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about how we can better support our Del Cerro students and families.
March is all about Respect
The annual Respect Day is held the first Wednesday of every March each year. We will be focusing on respectful language and behavior all month long.
Language affects Attitudes.
Attitudes impact Actions.
Actions create Change.
Unified Champion School Program
Del Cerro has applied to be a member of the Special Olympics Unified Champion School Program.
The Unified Champion Schools is made up of three core components:
- Unified Sports: Unified Sports brings together athletes with and without intellectual disabilities to train and compete on the same team. Through participation in Unified Sports, athletes improve their physical fitness, sharpen their skills, challenge the competition and develop friendships with having fun, too!
Del Cerro's program will include Unified PE, Unified Sports Day, and Fans in the Stands.
- Inclusive Youth Leadership: Students with and without intellectual disabilities working together to lead inclusive activities throughout the school year.
Del Cerro's program will include a Unified PAL Club, attendance at the Leadership Summit, and various Youth Leadership opportunities throughout the year that align with existing activities on campus.
- Whole School Engagement: An important feature of creating a socially inclusive climate is engagement with the entire school community. Whole school engagement activities positively impact school climate by including all students, teachers, staff, and administrators.
Del Cerro will begin with this month's Respect Campaign, assemblies, and awareness activities.
The activities and opportunities provided through Unified Champion Schools help to:
• Reduce bullying and exclusion
• Promote healthy activity and interactions
• Combat stereotypes and stigma
• Eliminate hurtful language in schools
• Engage people in social activities that lead to personal growth
Your partner in education,
Seen around Del Cerro...
Fourth Grade Project
Our classroom is raising money for the Pacific Marine Mammal Center. This is an organization that helps rehabilitate all types of seals so they can be happy and healthy in the ocean. The reason we are participating in that PMMC needs money for food and medicine. Our goal is to raise $1000. So far we have $701.01. To meet our goal we will be selling lemonade for 50 cents after school every Friday in the month of March. On Friday we also will be collecting any spare change you have in the drop off the line before school and we will have snacks in the Dolphin store. All of this money will be going to PMMC. I hope you will donate and help change the life of a seal.
Several teachers attended the Annual California Association for the Gifted Conference.
Teachers sharing how their students use Ozobots during our Student Showcase.
Congratulations to Mrs. Brick, Del Cerro's Teacher of the Year.
News from the Del Cerro PTA
Hello Del Cerro parents,
We are still holding nominations for the PTA Board. There are quite a few open positions. If you are interested, please contact Mandy Ferrell at email@example.com.
The Jog-A-Thon, our biggest fundraiser of the year, will be in March. If you are interested in volunteering for this particular event, contact Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.