Team Tortorello Newsletter
1st Grade Sherwood
Important Dates and Information
Wednesday, March 4: Author Visit, Barb Rosenstock @ 11AM
Thursday, March 5: 2nd Grade Sing @ 10 AM
Friday, March 13: Red Oak Jungle Book Performance @ SW 9AM
Thursday, March 19: Early Release @ 1:36PM , Conferences 3:30 - 8 PM
Friday, March 20: No School, Conferences 8AM - 12PM
March 23 - March 27: Spring Break
Looking for Morning Bin Supplies
- paper towel tubes
- wrapping paper
- anything that would attract a leprechaun
Phonics: Students worked on the syllable pattern CV (hi, go, we, me...) and how it usually makes a long vowel sound at the end. We brainstormed words with the consonant patterns -ng and -nk. Students also worked with their differentiated word sort.
Writing: We used our journals quite a bit this week. Students used the planet text to connect to a personal experience and write about when they saw the stars in the night sky. We also learned that we can write about a topic and include our observations from the text, illustrations, text features and our own life. Students created their own diagram of our solar system and today students wrote their own review of a Dr. Seuss book.
Handwriting: We have officially finished our Handwriting Without Tears book! These will be sent home at conferences.
We will start a new number corner focus next week!
Questions to Ask Your Child
- Can you brainstorm words that end in -ng?
- Can you brainstorm words that end in -nk?
- Tell me about fractions. What fractions have you learned about in class?
- When you think of this week, tell me something you are proud of.
- When you think of this week, tell me about a challenge you overcame.
- What is something kind you did this week?