The Monthly Mustang
The Official Newsletter for Wedgwood School Families
Three More Become First In Math Grand Champs As Three Others Soar Past 15,000
Wedgwood students continue to solve problems at a rate that has made our school #1 in all of New Jersey and #14 in the entire nation! Within the last week, three students became the 38th, 39th, and 40th Wedgwood students to earn a spot on our Wedgwood School First in Math Wall of Fame for earning 10,000+ stickers. Congratulations to Erin Miller (Grade 2), Alec Aguila (Grade 5), and Jonathan Coyle (Grade 3)! In addition, three current Wall of Famers have soared past 15,000 First in Math stickers and have earned their way into the 15,000 Club. Congratulations to Mackenzie Danso (Grade 5), Dylan Kane (Grade 2), and Gavin Sauers (Grade 2)!
Wedgwood Students Take Virtual No Place For Hate Pledge
Wedgwood School proudly continues our partnership with the Anti-Defamation League as a No Place For Hate School. The students and staff at Wedgwood take pride in our work toward fostering a positive school community where everyone is valued and accepted. Rather than physically signing our No Place For Hate Pledge this year, our students participated in a virtual pledge activity using FlipGrid as a school community. Students recited our pledge, seen below, and shared which specific statement was most important to them.
Wedgwood School's No Place For Hate Pledge
• I promise to do my best to treat everyone fairly.
• I promise to do my best to be kind to everyone—even if they are not like me.
• If I see someone being hurt or bullied, I will tell a teacher.
• I will help others to feel safe and happy at school.
• I will be part of making my school No Place for Hate.
If your child did not record themselves taking the No Place For Hate Pledge, they can access our FlipGrid here.
Wedgwood's Scholastic Book Fair is Virtually Awesome!
Our Virtual Scholastic Book Fair is currently underway! This year's Book Fair is being held entirely online, and will last from now through March 7. Visit our Book Fair homepage and take a peek at our Book List Flyer using the links in this PDF. Special thanks to our amazing Wedgwood PTO for sponsoring this event!
Picture Day Make Up Dates
- Cohorts A & C - Monday, March 8 during school
- Cohort B - Friday, March 12 during school
- Cohort D - Monday, 8 after school (times to be announced)
Wedgwood's Homework Helpline is Here!
Coronavirus Health & Safety Reminders
With cold and flu season upon us, and an increase in cases of COVID-19 cases within our community, it is important to remember the COVID Pledge that all Wedgwood Families were asked to sign prior to the start of the school year. It is critical that all students are checked for the following symptoms every day before school:
Please keep your child home from school if he or she is experiencing TWO or MORE of the following...
- Fever greater than 100
- Muscle aches
- Sore throat
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Congestion/Runny nose
OR at least ONE of the following...
- Shortness of Breath
- Difficulty Breathing
- New loss of smell
- New loss of taste
In addition to staying home if your child is exhibiting the symptoms described above, please notify our Wedgwood Health Office at (856) 227-8110; press 2 when prompted.
Close Contacts and Potential Exposures
Please notify our Wedgwood Health Office is your child had close contact (within 6 feet of an infected person for a cumulative total of at least 15 minutes) within the past 14 days with a person with confirmed COVID-19. Likewise, please notify our Health Office if someone in the household is diagnosed with COVID-19.
One of the biggest developments to take place this school year is our change in hybrid schedule taking place on March 1. This month sees the reopening of our school on Wednesdays, with students from Cohort A and B attending every other week. Please refer to the calendar below to know when students are required to report to school or learn from home. You can find an updated copy of our district's full Cohort Calendar here.
Signing Students In Late/Out Early
All students being signed in/out of school must be accompanied by an authorized adult. After being buzzed into the building, the parent/guardian will remain in the vestibule, asked to present ID, and will sign out the student out without entering the main lobby. Please know that students who arrive tardy or leave early for in person instruction may be marked absent for the day as the schedule is already abbreviated. We ask that families make every effort to arrive and leave Wedgwood on time.
- Learning from home is definitely different than learning at school. It requires students, families, and teachers to work together like never before in order to overcome challenges and make instruction happen. Check out these helpful tips for establishing virtual meeting etiquette with your children at home.
- Here is a one-stop shop for information about how to support your student's use of programs like Schoology, ClassLink, Seesaw, FlipGrid, and PowerSchool! Be sure to bookmark this EdTech Resource Guide For Parents
VIRTUAL PTO MEETING - MARCH 22
Our Wedgwood PTO will hold their next virtual meeting on Monday, March 22, at 7:00 p.m. If you wish to attend, please click this link at that time to join our meeting. The remaining PTO meetings for this school year will take place on April 19 and May 17 at 7:00 p.m. We're always on the hunt for new ideas, especially during this time of COVID-related limitations. New members are always welcome!
If coffee is a part of your day, then you're going to want to head over to Blended Joe's website and order yourself some of their signature Wedgwood blends! This awesome fundraiser is taking place through this Friday, March 5, at www.blendedjoefundraisers/wedgwood. Don't miss your chance to caffeinate while you help support our PTO!
SUPPORT WEDGWOOD WITH EVERY AMAZON.COM ORDER
Each time you shop with Amazon.com, It's super-easy to help raise funds for our Wedgwood PTO! Follow these simple steps to set it up:
- Go to smile.amazon.com.
- Click on the three horizontal bars in the top left corner to open your Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings menu and click Your Amazon Smile.
- Under "Pick Your Own Charitable Organization, select Wedgewood School Parent Teacher Organization (and yes, it is misspelled).
- Be sure to bookmark smile.amazon.com in your browser. Note: Amazon Smiles will not work through your phone or tablet app. Amazon will donate to our PTO with every purchase made through the Amazon Smiles page.
We want to add photos of your child learning from home to our yearbook! Send your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to identify the Wedgwood students in the pictures.
JOIN OUR WEDGWOOD PTO
The Wedgwood PTO is an organization made up of parents, teachers and administrators who work together to enhance the learning environment at Wedgwood School.
For just $5.00 per family you can become members of our PTO and help us provide our students and staff with the resources we need for a successful school year. For more information, please see the Membership Form, linked below.
WEDGWOOD PTO REMIND
Due to changes with the Remind system, we must archive our old Remind account from which we used to send text message reminders. We are now limited in how many people we can have in a group, and therefore we must create individual grade level groups. You will need to sign up for your child’s individual grade level group. School-wide PTO messages will go out to all groups.
It is important to note that the old Remind account will be archived soon so please sign up for the new accounts as soon as possible.
If your child is attending Wedgwood this year, please identify his/her grade level for 2020-2021 and sign up for that specific group. If you have children in multiple grade levels, feel free to sign up for each group. The information is as follows:
- Send a text to the number 81010.
- In the body of the text message, type the following information (PLEASE BE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR THE CORRECT GRADE LEVEL FOR 2020-2021!):
- Grade 1 - @wedgpt
- Grade 2 - @wedgpto2
- Grade 3 - @wedgpto3
- Grade 4 - @wedgpto4
- Grade 5 - @wedgpto5
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Please review the following information regarding Wedgwood School's arrival and dismissal procedures. For the safety of all, it is critical that both students and families practice social distancing during arrival and dismissal at Wedgwood.
- Walking students are to arrive at the school not earlier than 9:20 AM
- The dismissal of walkers will be staggered in the afternoon. Students whose last name begins with letters A-L will be dismissed at 1:20 p.m. Students whose last name begins with M-Z will be dismissed at 1:25 p.m. This includes those who will be picked up by a parent/guardian.
- Students walking home will exit down the walkers' path at the back of the school, toward Dorado Avenue.
Students Dropped Off
- All traffic must enter the Wedgwood parking lot through the entrance designated in the diagram above.
- Cars are to move all of the way forward in the drop off line before releasing students for arrival.
- Students who are dropped off to school will enter the building via the door by the playground.
- Students are to be dropped off to school no earlier than 9:15 a.m.
- Parents/Guardians who are dropping students off must do so by allowing them to exit the vehicle along the sidewalk on the side of the building. Please do not park your car and drop off your child from the parking lot. Once your child has exited the vehicle, please continue on the drop-off loop as detailed in the illustration above.
Students Picked Up
- Students who will be picked up by a parent will exit the school from the door by the playground. Wedgwood staff will supervise all students until a parent comes and personally escorts the child to the vehicle.
- The dismissal of walkers will be staggered in the afternoon. Students whose last name begins with letters A-L will be dismissed at 1:20 p.m. Students whose last name begins with M-Z will be dismissed at 1:25 p.m.
- All parents/guardians who wish to pick up their students at dismissal or who require alternative arrangements for pickup must notify the main office in writing. All written notification should be directed to your child's classroom teacher as well as our main office secretary, Mrs. Crosby, so that your child's needs can be met. She can be reached at email@example.com. Students are not permitted to verbally tell Wedgwood staff that they require alternative arrangements for pickup; all requests must be made in writing by the student's parent/guardian. If a teacher does not receive a note about the change in the child’s regular dismissal, the child will be sent home on his/her assigned bus.
- Students who are scheduled to be picked up and do not have a parent/guardian present at the time of dismissal will be brought to the main office. As per district policy, we will attempt to contact the parent(s) and/or emergency contacts on file. If no contact can be made within 30 minutes following school dismissal, the main office will coordinate efforts with the Washington Township Police Department to make contact with the student's parent/guardian.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for reviewing the school calendar and complying with all school dismissal times and procedures.
- Students will board the buses in the loading area at the front of the school. Parents who are picking students up must their child’s teacher and the main office prior to the start of that school day.
- Parents must personally sign their child out of school.
- If a teacher does not receive a note about the change in the child’s regular dismissal, the child will be sent home on his/her assigned bus. Students are not permitted to ride any other bus but the one that is assigned to them.