Miss Niedringhaus January 11, 2016
1-12-16: Character Connection
1-15-16: Spelling Test week 17
1-18-16: Martin Luther King Jr. Day NO SCHOOL!
As we continue focusing on Service Learning in our school, we would like to begin a shoe drive in January. This shoe drive will be conducted through Shoeman Water Projects. Shoeman is an organization that collects gently worn or new shoes for those in need. This collection ensures that shoes stay out of landfills and can be directed to a secondary market. The revenue Shoeman generates is used to provide clean water to developing countries. Therefore, this holiday season when you are receiving and purchasing new shoes please do not throw out your old shoes. We ask that you save your old shoes and help our students learn more about how they can help others.
Students will learn more about this Service Learning Project tomorrow during Character Connection. Please send in any new or gently worn shoes starting tomorrow!
- · Describe the connection between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts, or steps in technical procedures in a text.
- · Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
- · Describe how words and phrases supply rhythm and meaning in a story, poem, or song.
- · Acknowledge differences in the points of view of characters, including by speaking in a different voice for each character when reading dialogue aloud.
- · Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
- · With guidance and support from adults and peers, focus on a topic and strengthen writing as needed by revising, editing, and publishing.
Spelling/Phonics: Odd High-Frequency Words
do, does, done, again, answer, aunt, of, become, been,
caught, come, earth, said, some, taught, young
Vocabulary: healthy, perspective, produce
Text: Making Butter, Eating Right with MyPlate: Vegetable, Fruit, Protein, Healthy Snacks
Read Aloud: Gooseberry Park
Math: Topic 9: Subtracting Two-Digit Numbers
Lessons Include: Models to Subtract Two- and One-Digit Numbers
Subtracting Two- and One-Digit Numbers
Models to Subtract Two-Digit Numbers
Subtracting Two-Digit Numbers
Subtracting on a Number Line