SD81 Board of Education Highlights
Reporting on the February 17, 2016 Meeting
In this Issue:
- BOE Holds Public Hearing Concerning Sale of $16,500,000 Working Cash Fund Bonds.
- BOE Approves Bid for General Contractor for the 2016 Kennedy Addition
- BOE Approves Increase of Hourly Wages to Bus Drivers, Cafeteria Aides, and Custodians
Conduct of Public Hearing Concerning the Intent of the Board of Education to Sell $16,500,000 Working Cash Fund Bonds
The BOE approved the Payment of Bills & Payroll
- February 2016 Bills in the amount of $361,577.49
- Payroll for January 2016 in the amount of $853,877.92
- Legal Bills in the Amount of $3,523.55
First Public Participation:
Example of Excellence
Washington students performed a selection of three songs from their production of The Lion King.
Secretary Ewanio shared the following information with the BOE:
- Monday, April 25th is the West Cook Spring Dinner Meeting
- Facilities Committee Meeting Update: The bid opening for Kennedy School addition was held on February 12th. The lowest bid was from IHC. There was less than 10% variance among each bid. The bid was approximately $800,000 under budget. February 29th is the anticipated start date.
Old Business Action
- The BOE adopted Resolution #16-12 Approval to Increase Hourly Wages of Bus Drivers, Cafeteria Aides, and Custodians
New Business Information
- Dr. Boryszewski shared that District 81 applied for and was awarded a grant for the New Teacher Induction and Mentoring Program for FY2016. The grant will cover the entire cost of the program for FY16.
- Board Member Attendance/BoardBook: Discussion: Secretary Ewanio suggested that retrieving Board packets is an either/or situation - iPad or paper packets. Vice-President Downs agreed, questioning that if the BOE members have iPads, why is the District still supplying and delivering paper packets to two board members. Member Flanagan stated that BOE members received the iPads to eliminate the cost and work in compiling the paper packets. Member Hargus agreed. Member Stachura stated that he would prefer the paper packets. President Desecki stated that the two iPads not in use will be deployed to children, and that Members Kowalski and Stachura will be picking up board packets from the district office.
New Business Action
The Board of Education approved:
- The 2016-17 District 81 Calendar - Discussion: Member Flanagan noted that the District has adopted this schedule to synch up with Leyden HIgh School. Dr. Boryszewski commented that SD81 is starting a week later than this past school year.
- Agreement between Crowe Horwath LLP and School District 81 For Year Ending June 30, 2016 and Year Ending June 30, 2017.
- Bid for General Contractor for the 2016 Kennedy Addition - Sitework, Foundation, and Structural Steel Package to IHC.
Second Public Participation: None
Adjournment to Executive Session
Member Hargus commented that it has been 8 months since information from executive session has been leaked.
The BOE approved and accepted the following:
- Certified Staff Hires
- Classified Staff Resignations