May 20, 2019
All Library Books Due Monday, June 3
- Kindergarten Screening (Incoming K)
Wednesday, May 22
- Gr. 3 LaTronica/Sternfeld Field trip to Lexington Center
Thursday, May 23
- 6:30 pm Maker Night
Monday, May 27 - NO SCHOOL (Memorial Day)
Thursday, May 30
- 9:00 am & 7:00 pm Spring Concert (Gr. 5 Chorus, Gr. 4-5 Strings & Gr. 5 Band)
Friday, May 31
- Field Day
School Improvement Plan Priorities
Thank you to the 91 families who took time to complete the survey designed to help us identify priorities for the School Improvement Plan. 47 staff members completed a similar staff survey. A summary of the results can be found here: School Improvement Plan Priorities Summary.
Last week the School Council continued our discussion of priorities for next year. Incoming Principal Lisa Riendeau was able to join and be part of the discussion.
We noted the difference between what staff rated highest (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and PBIS) and what parents rated highest (STEAM Project Based Learning & Math Differentiation). However, three of the top five priorities for both staff and families were the same (DEI, PBIS and Parent Partnerships).
Discussion followed and focused on these areas and questions:
- Are we talking about STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) or Project-Based Learning?
- What specific action steps will be incorporated into the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goal?
- What do we mean by differentiation in mathematics? Is it enrichment and challenge? Or is addressing the achievement gaps our MCAS data reveals? Or both?
- How can we enhance parent communication? We need to clarify expectations for how teachers should be communicating with families about what children are learning in the classroom. without dictating a format or timing.
- Also related to parent partnerships is the need to pump up expectations for daily reading at home and increase accountability. We also need to develop guidelines and resources for sending home targeted practice next year.
- We noted that some of the action steps were work that faculty should continue, but that may not be as visible to parents, such as Professional Learning Communities (PLC) and Co-Teaching.
Emerging from the survey and our discussion as shared priorities were:
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Social Emotional Learning & Positive Behavior Interventions and Support (PBIS)
- Project Based Learning
- Mathematics Differentiation
- Parent Partnerships
I will be working with Lisa Riendeau and Christina Gavin in the days ahead to draft an updated School Improvement Plan. School Council will provide feedback on the draft at its June 5 meeting.
Scenes from Run of the Mill
Former Estabrook PE Teacher JIm Banks (for whom the gym is named) leads the warm-ups.
Leaving it all on the field for the Fun Run!
They're off! 5K gets underway.
PE Teacher Brit Hassan ran with her family.
Best seat in the house. Thank you to our volunteers!
Abbott's was a popular post-race treat. Thank you to our sponsors!