A small group ministry of the Rock Church
This week: Movement and Balance
And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day...Genesis 3:8
Running your race. Exercise isn't just about burning calories, and the benefits of exercise are countless. One of the things that intrigues me so much about exercise, is the profound impact it makes on our mental health. Not only is it a significant tool for prevention of both mental and physical illness; but it can be considered as treatment of ADHD, depression, stress, and anxiety (to name a few and consult a Dr. before taking matters into your own hands). There are chemical reactions that occur in the brain after exercising that launch us into the ability to solve problems creatively, focus, and absorb information.
I wonder what it sounded like to hear God walking in the garden, but sometimes on my walks I think I can hear Him with me. Interestingly, literature for people who live the longest and the healthiest aren't people who are churning away on the elliptical; it's people who have built movement and walking (especially those hills) into their lifestyle. Join us on Thursday, we're going to talk about movement, exercise and balance. Let's move past the things that hinder us in running our race, being our best and furthering the Kingdom of God.
And guess what? We actually have a running/walking group at the church. For more information email Gisele @ email@example.com.
Thursday, Jan. 28th, 6:30pm
2345 S Waterman Ave
We are planning to be in the Junior High room at the church
January 28: Movement/Balance
February 4: Resilience/Joy
February 11: Potluck/Panel
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us....Hebrews 12:1
Black Bean Chili
from the website: Emilie Eats.
- 1 pound dry black beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup salsa or diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, about 4 cloves
- 1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (decrease or omit for a milder soup)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Avocado and cilantro for topping, if desired
- In a large bowl, place beans. Fill with water about 1 inch over the beans. Let them soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, place beans, broth, onion, pepper, jalapeños, salsa, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 6 hours, until beans are completely cooked.
- When the soup is done, you can either leave it as is, process or blend half the soup until smooth and return it to the pot, or process or blend all of the soup until smooth.
- Serve warm; top with avocado and cilantro.