The Phoenix Post
Aspire K-12 Updates | Week Ending February 17th, 2023
In this Edition...
Celebrating Black History Month
Bessie Coleman was the first licensed black pilot in the world. Due to no aviation schools in the United States allowing her to attend for the fact she was a woman and black she moved to France. Bessie earned her international pilot's license in 1921. She was known as "Brave Bessie" and "Queen Bess" due to her daring flying tricks she was famous for doing such as the "loop-the-loop" and making "figure eights". She performed the first public flight by an African American woman and give speeches encouraging African Americans and women to learn how to fly. When she returned to Texas she refused to perform for a large event unless there was no segregation at the entrance, she became famous for publicly standing up for equal rights.
"I refused to take no for an answer" -Bessie Coleman
2023 DVUSD Parent Survey 📣
The 2023 DVUSD Parent & Community Satisfaction Survey is open!!
As we strive to continuously improve our schools and the district, we value your feedback and input. In addition, we are committed to reviewing the results and taking action on what our parents and community members have to say.
The Survey is open until February 24th - click the link below to complete it!
Principal's Corner 🍎
Greetings Aspire Families:
Parent Teacher Conferences were a success for our families in grades K-8. We appreciate all of you who met with your teachers to learn about your students strengths and areas for continued improvement. If you were unable to meet with your teacher, please reach out and they will be happy to set up a time to meet with you.
PTSA "fun"draiser: Hungry? Want to support Aspire's PTSA? Head over to Panda Express on February 28th! Aspire will earn 20% of all funds raised; order in-person or online then show the flyer below.
Kindness Rocks-Garden: Any Aspire student in grades K-12 students can participate in creating a rock for our Rock Garden. Participation can be in-person on March 23 from 3:00-5:00 or created at home and brought to the Innovation Center. Additional details will be shared in the coming weeks.
Seniors: Please check your smore for important updates regarding graduation!
Students: Remember to check your Canvas courses for end dates and make sure your MYHOURS are up to date. Keep up the good work! Parents and students, part time registration will begin at the end of March - early April.
State Testing: Please note that this semester is state testing season, mark your calendars to ensure that you are prepared and ready to attend required in person state assessments.
Yearbooks are on sale now! $22 - Details are below.
Thank you for all of your hard work and showing how you are on F.I.R.E. Enjoy the weekend!
As always, if you questions or concerns, please contact your administrator, Juliet Amara 7-12 and Laura Victor K-6 @ Aspire@dvusd.org .
Spring State Testing ⚠️
THANK YOU to our families who have signed up to donate snacks for our State Testing in the Spring! We appreciate you!!
Click the links below for State Testing schedules and information:
**If your student qualifies for small group testing - email communication was sent out from Dr. Victor regarding Small Group Testing Dates**
Remember that attendance is required!
If you have any questions regarding state testing, please email email@example.com.
This week at Aspire...🔴🟡🟠
Mrs. Chernek, one of our High School Science teachers, shares tips and tricks for the upcoming State Assessments
Thank you to students and families who attended Parent Teacher Conferences this week! It was great to share all of the celebrations and learning we have since from our students so far this quarter!
Aspire Clubs 🎵🎨
Aspire Clubs are up and running for the Spring Semester!
🧪Science Club - K-3rd Grade | Mondays 2-2:30PM
📚Book Club | 4th-6th Grade | Tuesdays/Thursdays 1:30-2PM
🎵Choir - 4th-8th Grade | Tuesdays 3:30-4PM
🏃Jump Rope Club - K-8th Grade | Wednesdays 3:30-4:30PM
💭Spanish Club | Wednesdays 3:30-4:30PM
February 20th - No School | President's Day
February 24th - Early Release
February 22nd - PTSA General Meeting - 5:30PM
February 26- Last day for K-8 students to complete Doordash/Amplify/NoRedInk sessions for the drawing
February 28: "Take out Tuesday" PTSA fundraiser at Panda Express (see details below)
March 8th : PTSA Executive Meeting - 5:30PM
Print this Flyer or show it on your phone at Panda Express!
⚕️Permission to Carry Medicine
- Parents, if your student needs to carry medicine (inhaler, epi-pen, insulin) please request a copy of the "Permission to Carry Medicine" form from our front office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Students must have this on file in order to access/use medicine on our campus!
📚Device & Q3 Materials Pick-Up
Device Pick-Up Hours:
- Monday - Friday from 9 AM to 4 PM
- If you have any questions or need to make other arrangements for picking up devices/materials, please contact us at Aspire@dvusd.org. We are here to help!
- Next Due Date: February 26
- Remember to complete DreamBox/Amplify/No Red Ink for a chance to have lunch delivered by Dr. Victor!
- This is for any K-8 full-time Aspire Student!
7th & 8th Grade Info😎
Required ELA District Interim 2 Assessment - via Zoom!
- All 7th & 8th grade students will need to complete the required ELA District Interim 2 Assessment
- Tuesday, February 21st and Wednesday, February 22nd
- Students must attend the regular daily Zoom class with their cameras on in order to take the assessment
- Reach out to email@example.com with questions!
Required MATH District Assessment - IN-PERSON
- All 7th & 8th grade students must attend IN-PERSON for the Math District Assessment
- Dates: February 21st OR February 23rd @ 2PM
- Location: Innovation Center
- If students are unable to attend, please contact your teacher PRIOR to testing day to make arrangements. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
9th-12th Grade News 🖥️
ACT Test Prep 💡
- Aspire 9th-12th grade teachers will be holding in-person sessions to prepare students for upcoming state assessments!
- Thank you to students who attended the first two sessions! See the flyer below for information regarding our next session!
- Questions? E-mail email@example.com
Attention Seniors! 🎓
IN NEED OF SENIOR GRADUATION SPEAKERS
- If you are interested in speaking at our Graduation Ceremony, please complete THIS FORM
- Additional details will be sent once we have gathered interested participants!
Seal of Biliteracy
Seniors who speak Spanish fluently can apply for the Arizona State Seal of Biliteracy, which would be added to their High School Diploma. Seniors do not have to be enrolled in a Spanish course in order to apply.
Seniors who are interested, click here to fill out to the Google Form by April 1st!
What's Poppin' with PTSA🍿
PTSA: Parent Teacher Student Association
Welcome to February!
Join the Aspire PTSA and get involved in our school community!
This month we are sponsoring a take-out Tuesday “fun”draiser at Panda Express: February 28th 9:30am-10:00pm! Details in the flyer!
Be on the lookout for our Kindness Rocks event on March 30 from 3:00pm-5:00pm! This will be a hybrid event and a link will be shared so that families can participate from home or in person at the Innovation Center. Stay tuned for more information!
Come see what other exciting events and activities we have planned!
Next General meeting: Wednesday February 22nd at 5:30pm
Zoom link: Aspire PTSA https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/89986530774 .
Next Executive meeting: Wednesday March 8th at 5:30pm
Zoom link: Aspire PTSA https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/89986530774 .
Use the QR Code to join!
Individual Membership $6
Business Membership $25
Birthday Shout-Outs 🥳
Want to wish your child a "Happy Birthday" on the Aspire Announcements? Click the button above to complete the Birthday Shout Out form!