The transition into high school can be both exciting and scary. This year we will have several new transition activities for our eighth-grade students. We currently have 2 activities planned: a student symposium scheduled for January 5 and an Orientation Night scheduled for January 10. Please see the Counselors Corner below for more information.
Be sure to follow us on Twitter to get a glimpse into your child's day. See all of the exciting things going on at CCMS. @CurtisCornerMS . Follow our district hashtag, #UmatteratSK, to see district happenings as well. Also, our school website is also full of important information for families.
#thecurtiscornerway - Mrs. McNeiece
The December Advisory theme is generosity. Student leaders in our building continue to come forward with ways to give back to our community.
This month Isabella Lawless organized a community service project to benefit Santa's Elves, a non-profit organization that provides food, clothing, and supplies for homeless people in the Providence area. Students collected 288 toothbrushes and toothpaste for donation.
Aubrey Costello is currently organizing a holiday cookie collection that will be part of a community food drive.
A food drive was organized by Magnolia Longworth for her I-project class last month. Congratulations to Mrs. Chappell and Mr. Nelson's homerooms for collecting the most food of any homeroom for our Holiday Food Drive.
Dean Of Students
As we enter the final month of 2017, just a few reminders from the Office of the Dean.
Parents, if you have not already done so, please make sure you are checking skyward and your email for communications regarding student discipline. Most times I try to call home but for minor infractions, I will send a quick email summary of the event.
Safety tip for iphone users: For those of us with iphones, I recently came across an article with some valuable safety information for us all. If you find yourself in an emergency situation and you cannot dial 911, quickly press the lock phone button 5x and your iphone will send an emergency text to authorities. This works regardless of network coverage and can be a valuable life-saving tool.
Finally, I continue to be impressed each day with the commitment to excellence in all aspects of the school. I hope you all enjoy your Holiday Season and have a Happy New Year!! See you all in 2018!!!
Counselor's Corner -Ms. Fontaine
Wishing you and yours a Happy & Healthy Holiday Season.
Thank you to all that made donations to our Jonnycake Center. Dropping off $450 in gift cards for our families demonstrates a beautiful sentiment about our school community!
Both seventh and eighth-grade students recently completed their Individual Learning Plans in Social Studies classes. Students reflected on their student learner qualities, set academic and personal/social goals and explored some interesting career paths. They will be sharing these goals with families at the student-led conferences scheduled for February 9.
Grade 8 Transition Planning
- Student Symposium: We are already talking about our eighth graders heading to the high school and will be hosting an information session at CCMS on January 5th. The SKHS School Counseling department is teaming up with the CCMS school counselor to organize a student symposium. This event will take place during the school day and will allow CCMS 8th grade students to ask questions of current SKHS students in small groups. The goal here will be to create a safe environment for 8th graders to ask questions that are important to them, and to get answers from actual students, not adults. High school students will be prepared to share information on Academics, honors programs, extracurricular activities, as well as athletic program opportunities.
- Please save the date of January 10th from 6:30-8:00 in the SKHS auditorium for Orientation Night. We are planning an interactive format this year that will allow parents and students to receive information about issues that are important to them. We will have a format to allow for questions and answers as well as contributions from current SKHS students. Please be on the look-out for course selection forms, explore the website for the SKHS program of studies and course descriptions.
- Middle Years Newsletter - Please check out the link below to a resource for parents of middle-level students. Specific articles are related to academics and social-emotional well being.
Mr. P's Prevention Corner
As if the holidays weren't stressful enough (we know they are), the landscape of teen substance use initiation just got more complicated with the growing trend of vaping and JUULING in particular. What is JUULING you ask? JUULING is a discreet form of vaping that is the most widespread phenomenon you’ve likely never heard of. The Rhode Island Student Assistance Services December Newsletter outlines information for parents on this topic.
Spotlight on Music
Monica Thoma for being accepted into the RIMEA Junior Division All-State Orchestra.
Amalia Costa for being accepted into the All-State Guitar Ensemble
Caroline McCullough, Aleda Skiffington and Ethan Utterback for being accepted into the All-State Chorus. We are so proud of all of these students.
CCMS in Action
Theme Park Tycoons
In Mrs. Brimlow's class, students used expressions to design a theme park, kicking it all off with a roller coaster ride using VR headsets!
There's a car in the library!! Students taught Mrs. Carlino how to use a virtual reality app.
Our first school dance was a great success! Thanks to teachers, parents, and PTO for all the help and support.
Theme Park Tycoons
Important Dates to Remember
- December 19 - Picture retakes
- December 25 - January 1 - Holiday break - no school
- January 5 - Student Symposium for gr. 8 students
- January 10 - 8th grade Orientation night @ SKHS
- January 15 - MLK day - no school
- January 26 - Last day of semester 1
At Curtis Corner Middle School it is important to us to keep our families aware of all the great things happening at our school. In an effort to do this, we utilize multiple communication methods.
- WEBSITE - The middle school website is the primary tool for all communication. Our website is updated almost daily with all school announcements. It also contains upcoming events, important dates, documents, links to teacher emails, and team information. There is also a guidance page that includes important information from our guidance department. This page is updated weekly.
- GOOGLE CLASSROOM - All CCMS teachers have established individual Google Classroom pages containing important information for their classes.
- SKYWARD - Parents are able to access the Skyward parent portal for updates on their child's academic progress. To access the parent portal from the CCMS webpage, click on the parent tab at the top of the page. For your username and password please contact the school secretary.
- TWITTER - Curtis Corner uses Twitter to promote the wonderful things happening in our school. Follow us at @CurtisCornerMS. You may also want to follow @terryt9lynch, @kristenstring. Many of our teachers have a Twitter account to highlight the great instruction and activities happening.
- NEWSLETTER - A goal this year will be to have a Principal's Newsletter distributed at least quarterly highlighting school and student achievement. If you have any suggestions that are worthy of recognition, please email me at email@example.com. If possible, please include a photograph.
- SKYLERT - Our school utilizes automated phone and email messages. Please make sure you have accurate phone numbers and email addresses in Skyward in order to receive this information. To change this information in Skyward you can contact Mrs. Price at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. McNamara at email@example.com