SCEC Elementary Curriculum Updates
January, 2021 Mrs. C. Gutierrez
From the Desk of Christina Gutierrez
May I encourage you to use this New Year as an opportunity to develop a new mindset. A mindset that allows yourself to see the positives daily. You can only control you. So why not invest in you! By clearing your mind of negativity and making your mental health a priority, you will set yourself up for new growth and learning in the new year. Blessings and prosperity to you and yours!
Read Alouds/Think Alouds-What is the purpose and how do I know if I am doing them effectively?
While reading aloud you should ask yourself;
- Who is doing the thinking?
- Am I stopping strategically throughout the story to hear student thinking and/or promoting discourse (i.e turn and talks)?
- What strategy have I modeled that supports comprehension?
- How am I promoting vocabulary development?
If you are wanting to learn more. Below is a quick informative video to support your expertise.
This video does a great job at dissecting a read aloud lesson and how to grow your read aloud craft.
The math calendars have been updated to reflect upcoming instruction in January. Please click appropriate link below to see district pacing for math.
K-2 Math Maps are up on website!!
- Each unit has identified priority standards.
- Priority standards are the standards that are the main focus of the cycle.
- Priority standards have proficiency scales that can be used to differentiate classroom assignments and create Checks for Understanding tasks.
- Each priority standard has correlated supporting standards that help address all standards in an organized fashion.
- Tiered assessments come in three levels of proficiency.
Instructional Coaches Contacts
Instructional Coaches are here to help! If you need assistance, please be your own professional growth advocate. They are here to support ALL!
Instructional Coach Ann Kelly email@example.com
Instructional Coach Rosie Hamilton firstname.lastname@example.org
Technology Instructional Coach Michelle Navarro email@example.com