LVIS Family Newsletter
Friday, October 14, 2022
Welcome to the 2nd Nine Weeks!
It's hard to believe that we have completed the 1st nine weeks of school. The first nine weeks has been full of learning, smiles, joy and laughter! I'm looking forward to a fabulous 2nd nine weeks of school. We have some exciting things planned in the upcoming months ( An Author's Visit, A Winter Show, Science Fair, and more!) New this year, we will not be mailing home report cards. Please login into Ascender Parent Portal next week to check grades for the nine weeks. We will mail home the final report card of the year.
A couple of things to note
1. Complete the LVISD Volunteer Form Here and return the form to the school.
2. Student Holiday November 7th and November 8th
3. Join us for Literacy Night October 27th
4. Red Ribbon Week October 24 - October 28th
1st Annual October Literacy Night
Parents mark your calendar for October 27th. We will have our 1st Annual Literacy Night! The 4th graders will be presenting their Living Wax Museum in the cafeteria. 5th grade will be sharing their spooky poems in their homeroom class. It will be a fun evening! Also, book fair will be open in the Library. We hope to see you there!
Mark Your Calendar
10/14 - Last Day of the Nine Weeks
10/24 - 10/28 - Red Ribbon Week
10/24 - 10/27 - Book Fair
10/24 - 4th Grade Author's Visit
10/27 - 1st Annual LVIS Literacy Night
10/29 - Trunk or Treat at Lago Vista High School 6:00 - 8:00pm
11/7 and 11/8 - Student Holiday
11/21 - 11/25 - Thanksgiving Break
12/6 - 4th Grade Winter Performance at the PAC
2/10 - LVIS UIL Meet at LVIS - More information coming soon about competing in UIL
LVIS T-Shirts for Sale
LVISD Education Foundation
Have you heard of the Lago Vista ISD Education Foundation? The foundation has been around for many years and strives to support our LVISD students and educators. The foundation raises funds to provide grants to LVISD Educators. The grants fund equipment and supplies for students! Lago Vista ISD students are the direct beneficiaries!
The Education Foundation is currently looking for community volunteers to help with our Giving Tuesday Campaign. You can learn more about the organization and how to help at our website, https://www.lvisdeftx.com , or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
"When LVISD students thrive, our community does too!"
We have amazing teachers at LVIS. If you have a question or would like to discuss your child, please feel free to reach out to your child's teacher via email. They are happy to meet with you during their conference period.
Also, be on the lookout for a weekly newsletter every Monday from your child's homeroom teacher with important information and dates.
5th Grade - 8:35 - 9:20
4th Grade 9:35 - 10:20
Red Ribbon Week - October 24th - 28th
Monday, Oct 24th - Team Up against drugs! Wear your favorite team shirt or team colors.
Tuesday, Oct 25th - Give drugs the boot! Wear western clothes.
Wednesday, Oct 26th - Vikings are proud to be drug free! Wear red to support your pledge.
Thursday, Oct. 27th - From head to toe, I am drug free! Wear crazy, mixed up socks and hats.
Friday Oct. 28th - Viking Strong! Wear blue and gold to show Vikings don't do drugs!
School Bus Safety Week
It is National School Bus Safety Week! As such, we would like to take this opportunity to remind all Viking parents and community members of some important school bus safety guidelines:
- Drive with heightened awareness when you are near a school bus. This is especially the case when driving in inclement weather.
- Remember that Texas law requires drivers to yield the right-of-way to school buses.
- If you are driving behind a bus, allow a greater following distance than if you were driving behind a car. It will give you more time to stop once the red lights start flashing.
- Never pass a bus from behind if it is stopped to load or unload children or it is turning. It is illegal in all 50 states to pass a school bus that is stopped to load or unload children.
- If you approach a school bus from either direction and the bus is displaying alternately flashing red lights, unless it is a controlled-access highway, you must stop. Do not pass the school bus until: (1) The school bus has resumed motion; (2) You are signaled by the driver to proceed; or (3) The red lights are no longer flashing.
- When stopping for a school bus, remember that the area 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous for children; stop far enough back to allow them space to safely enter and exit the bus.
- Never cut in front of a moving school bus. Cutting into the open space in front of a bus removes the driver’s cushion of safety.
We greatly appreciate everyone's patience when sharing the road with our school buses. As we all know, impatience can lead to bad decisions behind the wheel that can impact the safety of our precious passengers. Thank you for partnering with us to help keep our Vikings safe!
Free and Reduced- Price Meal News
As a reminder, LVISD transitioned back to Free and Reduced-Price Meals for the 22-23 school year. The federal government is no longer funding the free lunch program, which was part of the COVID-19 pandemic aid package. All families are encouraged to fill out the Free and Reduced-Price Meals applications. If your child previously received free or reduced-priced meals, a new application must be received to determine if your child still qualifies. Previous free and reduced-meal eligibility has now expired. You can fill out the Free & Reduced Meal application online at MySchoolApps by clicking on the following links:
Need to add funds to your child's lunch account?
Here is the link to add funds or check your child's account.
Free and Reduced-Price Meals applications
Visitors and Volunteers
We are excited to welcome lunchtime visitors back on campus. Families may signup to have lunch with their child here.
5th Grade - 10:45 - 11:15
4th Grade - 11:20 - 11:50
If you need to pick up your child early, please pick him/her up by 2:30. After 2:30, buses arrive and classrooms are beginning the dismissal process.
Who Do I Contact
Nurse - Gina Carmichael at email@example.com
Counselor - Cynthia Gumbert at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal - Bonnie Sullivan at email@example.com