Central Heights Band Newsletter
April 14, 2023
SPRING CONCERT - NEW DATE (May 11th)
- Due to some scheduling conflicts, the May concert has been moved to Thursday May 11th (one week later than previously scheduled)
- 7pm Concert @ Central Heights
- All Bands (6th , 7th, & 8th)
- Students should wear Central Heights Music Uniform
- Students with school-owned instruments @ home, bring back to school
NO MEMORIAL DAY PERFORMANCE FOR MIDDLE SCHOOLS
The Memorial Day performance is canceled for all Sun Prairie Middle School Bands. The Sound of Sun Prairie will still be performing and participating.
Help SP Jazz 1 get to New York City!
Jazz Ensemble I has been selected as 1 of 15 finalist bands to participate in the Essentially Ellington Festival May 11-13 in New York. We are so excited to have these students make their mark on our program and perform in New York at Jazz at Lincoln Center.
Jazz Update - Wrapping it Up!
Friday April 14, Swing Into Spring Jazz Extravaganza @ Prairie View
- 7- 9pm @ Prairie View
- Featuring all Jazz Ensembles in Sun Prairie!
- Concessions & Pie Auction to Support Jazz 1 going to NYC!
- CH Jazz - arrive by 7pm (put stuff in Orchestra Room)
- After HS Jazz 1 - Warm-Up (in Orchestra Room)
- 7:45pm (approx) - CH Jazz Performs
Spring Rehearsal Updates:
- Rehearsals resume THURSDAYS ONLY on April 20th
- Rehearsals are optional for this last month
8th Grade Only - Beyond the Notes Festival on May 25th
8:20am – Report to Band Room
8:30am – Depart
10:30am - Performance
11:05 - Clinic w/ Dr. Pompey, UW Madison
11:40 - Listen to other Bands
12:35 - Pizza Lunch (provided)
1:00 - Free time at Water Park or Theme Park
6:15 - Arrive Sun Prairie
Some other reminders:
- Students should wear their Central Heights Music Uniform to school that day
- Students will have time to change before lunch
- There is no cash spending. Students should bring a pre-loaded cash card or can purchase one at Kalahari
- Water Park students should bring their own towel and consider bringing money (cash card) to rent a locker for their belongings
We'll be in touch after May's concert with more details.
Summer Music Camps - UW Whitewater
About the Whitewater Camp:
- This camp is available to musicians entering grades 6-8 in Fall.
- Sunday, July 23 - Friday, July 28, 2023
Band Lesson & Practice Tips
Every band student will receive a weekly private lesson for about 10 minutes with Mr. Melrose or Mr. Metcalf (part-time music teacher).
Part 1 - Warm-Up (long tones, scales, slurs, patterns)
Part 2 - Heavy Lifting (be specific about your goals and find different ways to achieve them; slow practice, chunking, gradually adding parts)
Part 3 - Fun! (find fun pieces to play - or as Melrose for tip on how to find them).
- 7th & 8th grade have new mallets & sticks to order. Check pg. 2 of the above document
- NEED HELP? Just ask.
How to order:
- Click button below "Ward-Brodt - Supplies"
- Select "Central Heights - Band"
- Select Instrument
If you have ANY questions, please do not hesitate to contact me:
CHMS Music Educator
(608) 318-8064 (Office)
608-618-2843 (Google Voice)