By: Arielle Sorrell
What is word recognition?
- Recognizing words without conscious attention
- Recognizing words without attending to every letter
- Using parts of words to quickly identify new ones
- Connecting unknown words to known words (analogies)
- Connecting spelling with word meaning (homonyms, plurals, tenses, etc.)
The text states, "too often struggling readers have limited receptive and expressive oral vocabulary" (DeVrise, 2015). Most often these students are economically disadvantaged that have not had the same experiences as many other of their classmates (DeVrise, 2015).
For students to gain strength in this area one of the main focuses must be learning sight words and taking sentences in chunks (Devrise, 2015).