The Bulldog Buzz!
Week of February 4, 2019
How will you think like a scientist to understand the world around you?
Lesson Plans DUE
Monday, Feb. 4th, 8am
- Specialists & BSI: My Chat & Chew block is during your lunch block this week! If you would to dialog about any of our initiatives, let me know!
- Morning Mindfulness: Stop by my office for our daily 5-minute faculty mindfulness sessions! The fun starts at 7:45 daily.
Rowan PDS Meetings
Monday, Feb. 4th, 3pm
- Building Steering Committee (3:00-4:00)
- Network Meeting (4:30-6:30)
Friday, Feb. 8th, 9am-2pm
Small Conference Room
Rodgers School Valentine's Dance
Friday, Feb. 8th, 6pm
The Principal's POV on...this month's SEL article!
In this month's article, author (and BCBA) Jessica Minahan states that almost a third of children face an anxiety disorder at some point in their lives. This often creates challenges as students engage in task avoidance - either shutting down or lashing out. In order to support our students, we must focus on two areas: providing consistency/predictability throughout the day & on providing the tools to help students self-regulate. This can include:
- Picture Schedules (see Ms. Masso or Ms. Giroux, our resident PECS experts!)
- Chunking work (it was fantastic to see how each team gravitated towards this strategy)
- Mindfulness (silence/closing eyes can sometimes can sometimes trigger anxiety - make your routines flexible...add some soft music, for example).
- Quietly conference with specific students prior to beginning an assignment.
- Have a plan in place when you have a substitute (such as having a student spend the day in another room or visit with preferred adults throughout the day).
THANK YOU to everyone that shared your thoughts on the article & on how our #EverydaySEL journey continues to shape your views. See below for some STANDOUT quotes from the #BullockES faculty...and if you want to checkout some more of Minahan's work, click here! Thank you for a fantastic week & have a great weekend!
News & Notes
F&P Data: Please submit your F&P data by Wednesday, February 6. If you have any questions, please let me know.
To the 2nd Grade Team: Don't forget to roll-out your reading response journals and guided writing lessons this week...and sign-up for a Chat & Chew if you wanted to co-plan or talk more about this important initiative!
International Club Updates: Philadelphia Zoo Trip for Gr2 & International Club students will be on February 14th. All permission slips, and release forms are due by February 5th. International Club Mock Trial in Superior Court on February 11th
PTO Snowball Dance: Don't forget our snowflakes & paper chains! The PTO dance is on 2/22...and thank you to everyone for helping to make this such a fun event for our kiddos!
Gr3 Honors Choir: Choir will restart on 2/12/19...can't wait to see Ms. Tursi!
African American Read-in: Readers are needed for our upcoming Read-In on 2/22 for Black History Month. Reach out to Mrs. Castro if you are interested!
Ms. Stewart & Ms. McDermott's 1st graders are coding their words!
Words to Inspire...
Learning about the impact of video games with Dr. Dorman. TY to Mrs. Tags for arranging this great event!
BOOM! Shout-outs from the Staff!
- Marcy-You have been a pleasure to work with. You will truly be missed by me and our firsties! Andrea
- Shout out to Marian whose patience is unmatched this germy winter season. ~Sauer
- Joan & Tag – you are life savers! Joan, Thanks for coming to my rescue at Wawa!
- Tag, thanks for being so flexible and offering to cover my class for me. I appreciate you both so much!
- Kelli—Thank you for being kind, caring, and thoughtful. It is such a pleasure working with you!
- Nicole-Thanks for everything and for always listening!
- Mel-Thanks for being supportive to me
- Toni & Robyn-Thanks for being so wonderful
- Tag-Congrats on Teacher of the Year!!
- Goodbye Bullock family! It’s been a great ride...I will miss you! Andrea, thanks for teaching me to love 1st grade. You made this year great!
- Thanks Tag for being so resourceful and for Dr. Dorman’s round table last night!
- Thanks to everyone for your participation in our school Jeans day to help support the Cape May Coast Guard and the Glassboro Food Bank. Special thanks to Mrs.Raynor, Mrs. Masso, Mrs. Cosenza, Mrs Bachman and all of Mrs. Masso’s students for coordinating the pretzel sale and getting all of the pretzels out. The kids did a wonderful job. Thanks to the PTO as well.
Community events/reminders are in bold.
- 02/11: Bulldog Buddies/SEL Meeting
- 02/15: School Closed (Inservice Day)
- 02/18: School Closed (President's Day)
- 02/22: African American Read-in; PTO Snowball Dance
- 02/25: Gr1 Meeting; Read Across America Week
- 02/26: Gr2 Meeting
- 02/27: Gr3 Meeting
- 02/28: Special Areas Meeting
- 03/01: Star Student Luncheon