Gene Therapy & the human Genome prj
The Human Genome project was an international effort to map the sequence of all our genes, collectively known as a genome. A very significant moment in human history due to the potential medical benefits. The HGP gives us the ability to read nature's complete genetic blue prints for humans.
Gene Therapy involves a procedure in which humans are given healthy genes in order to make up for faulty genes or prevent disease.
- use of GT to help treat people with Genetic disorders and various human illnesses
- We can replace unhealthy mutated genes that cause diseases with healthy genes
- We can inactivate mutated genes that are functioning improperly
- We can introduce new genes to help the body fight a disease
- 2 different methods of Gene therapy:
- ex vivo: Outside the body
- in vivo: inside the body
- GT is currently being tested and studied to make sure that it is safe and effective for humans,
- GT Currently only being tested for treatment for diseases that have no other cure
Advantages of HGP and Gene Therapy
- People suffering with genetic disorders finally have found a way of relief from their disorders
- Carriers of certain genetic predisopositions can go through gene therapy to eliminate the disorder/disease, Ultimately wiping out the disorder/disease.
- Can potentially cure diseases/disorders instead of just relieving symptoms from the diseases/orders
Disadvantages of Gene Therapy
- Current Gene therapy is based on theory and needs to be tested for safety
- Gene therapy therapy research has concluded that the benefits are only short termed and further practice and research is necessary to make the benefits of gene therapy permanent
- Due to the nature of science, drug therapy is deemed safer than gene therapy due to testability
- Current gene research has not mastered the placement of genes, so there is a potential for err where the gene could be inserted into an undesired destination that could do more harm than good.