Mosaica Online Happenings
January 7-11 2013
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- Tuesday, January 8th: Monthly Staff Meeting @ 7pm
- Friday, January 18th: End of Semester 1 (see your email and below for details)
- Friday, January 18th: Advisement meeting @ 2pm Eastern in Julie's office
- Thursday, January 31st: Parent Ed Meeting @ 8:30pm Eastern in Julie's office
- **Beginning August 28th, all adjunct teachers must submit invoices to Brenda McCullers on the 14th and 28th of the month**
Staff Spotlight - Erin Kessel
I have been working for Mosaica as an elementary teacher for a year now and loving every moment! I have seven years of experience teaching elementary students in an online cyber school environment. I live with my husband Don, daughter Haley who is five years old and son Landon who is four years old. We live in a small town outside of Harrisburg Pennsylvania. In my free time I like to ski, hike, read, craft and play with my kids. Prior to my teaching career, I use to house sit for bed and breakfast owners and also was a white faced clown named Rainbow who made animal balloons and painted faces.
We appreciate you Erin!!!
End of the Semester/Grading Period is Coming!
Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns - the deadlines stated are very important!
- The semester ends for AZ, CA, & CO on Friday January 18th!
- · No later than Friday, January 4th: Email the appropriate state contact confirming that you have verified all PowerSchool rosters
- · No later than Friday, January 11th: Teachers have all Grading Period #3/Semester 2 courses set up and ready to begin. Teachers notify their DC by this date that their course(s) is ready to be checked.
- · No later than Friday, January 11th: Teachers verify that the end dates for Grading Period #2/Semester 1 courses are correct.
Be sure you are......
- Be sure all gradebooks are up to date
- Follow up with the parents of any failing students
- Update the Seating Chart with all essential contacts. Include dates for each entry.
- Verify all PowerSchool rosters and email Elaina Mutis(CA), Cecilia Perkins (AZ), or Justin Schmitt (CO) when complete
- Enter your PSAP data into individual PSAPs in Alpine
- ALL GRADES: Set up GP#3/Semester 2 classes
- ALL GRADES: Ensure that the end dates for your GP#2/Semester 1 courses are correct
Art Club has been focusing on the art skill of perspective drawing throughout the month of November. After several practice exercises making 3-Dimensional, shapes and letters, students used their skills to create a one-point perspective city drawing! These drawings follow the precise steps of creating city roads, and buildings in one point perspective. Students took on the challenge and had wonderful results!
Here is a fantastic city drawn by High School Art Club member Mason Lo.
TEACHER TIP OF THE WEEK!
'Great teachers know the difference between what they can and cannot control. We can't make kids have good "attitudes," but we stand a good chance of instilling them with ours.'
Love and Logic ® Teacher-isms by Jim Fay and Charles Fay
What Is Going On In Other Mercury Locations?
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Muskegon Heights, Michigan
You will receive updates here that will pertain to our students in any of these locations!
- be sure to consult the various calendars in D2L for these locations
Teachers PLEASE be sure you are keeping your D2L grade book updated. Whenever a program needs grades for a progress report, we export the D2L grade book current average. Thank you!
- grades gathered January 22 so be sure D2L is up to date
- testing January 21 - 25
- Mexican Holiday - Feb 4
- Jan 22 - MLK holiday
- Feb 1 and 4 - Prof Dev days
- Feb 18 and 19 - Winter Break
- Jan 14 - Sankranti
- Feb 5 - Mar 1 - Winter Break
As we near the end of the second quarter, know that you will be including Q2 Scantron data on PSAPs, which is already loaded in the Alpine system. Feel free to access PSAPs within Alpine any time and pace yourself so that you do not have an end-of quarter crunch! Please let Carrie Polk know if you have any questions or concerns regarding Alpine access.
Q3 Scantron assessments will take place Thursday January 24th and Friday the 25th, with any make-ups to take place on Monday the 28th & Tuesday the 29th. Please plan your lessons so that students are not overburdened with excessive work on these dates!
Thursday January 24th:
Reading Foundations (grades K-1)
Reading (grades 2-10)
Math (grades 2-10)
Friday January 25th:
Math (grades K-1)
Language Arts (grades 2-10)
Science (grades 2-10)
Online Paragon Nights!
Please take a few moments to enjoy the wonderful presentation of Paragon Night by our online students - a huge thank you to Maria Savoldi and Hadar Goldberg!