Multilingual Learner News
Important News for Multilingual Learners at Lake Bluff
20 May 2022
Hello multilingual families!
It's hard to believe, but today is the last Friday of the school year! Many classrooms are planning fun end of year activities, celebrations, and field trips. If you have questions about any information sent home or would like translations, please contact me.
There is no school next week Friday, May 27, and on Monday, May 30.
Read on for information about:
- Tips for using your home language at home and in the community
- Important Information for 6th Graders
- The return of Hot Dog Day!
- 2022-23 School Calendar
- Lunch menu
- New Student Enrollment for the 2022-2023 school year
If you would to see this newsletter TRANSLATED, please use the TRANSLATE button. (If you are viewing in your email, you may need to click on VIEW IT IN YOUR BROWSER above.)
Multilingual Learner (ML) Teacher
Tips for Using Language at Home and in the Community
- Use your native language at home. Children have an easier time learning English when they have a strong foundation in their first language.
- Tell stories and sing songs. Pass your family's heritage on to your children.
- Tell stories and share books together. You can read in any language or just talk about pictures!
- Check out materials in your language from the library. Ask the library staff if you need help finding what you need.
- Talk about your traditions and culture. Share these things with your child's school!
- Look for activities in your community. Meet other families who speak your home language.
- Continue using your home language as your children grow older, even if they respond in English. Talk with your children about the benefits of speaking two (or more!) languages.
- Don't forget that you are key to maintaining your home language. What you value, your children will learn to value.
Important Information for 6th Graders
- 6th grade Passages presentations will take place May 23-May 26. Students will talk about how they have grown as learners during their time as elementary school students and show how that growth has readied them for new challenges at SIS. Presentations will be online or in person. If you have questions or are not sure of your time, please contact me or your child's classroom teacher.
- Plans for the 6th grade completion ceremony have begun. The event will be Thursday, June 9, from the start of the school day through approximately 10AM. If you have not already, send 2 pictures of your 6th grader (baby/toddler and current/now) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Families are Invited for the Return of Hot Dog Day: June 2
The 2022-23 School Calendar Is Ready
Students may also bring their own lunch to school if you prefer.
You can click on this link to see the full school calendar. Each event is labeled as follows:
- LB = Lake Bluff Elementary School
- ATW = Atwater Elementary School
- SIS = Shorewood Intermediate School
- SHS = Shorewood High School
- ALL SCHOOLS = applies to all 4 schools in the district
Look for events labelled LB or ALL SCHOOLS for your child.
There is NO SCHOOL on the following days in May:
- Friday, May 27
- Monday, May 30
New Student Enrollment for the 2022-2023 School Year
Every year, families need to provide proof of Shorewood residency if their child is not part of the Open Enrollment program. You can read more about enrollment and residency requirements by clicking this link. Residency information is also available in Simplified Chinese and Vietnamese. Please contact me at email@example.com if you need residency information translated into a different language.
Equity, Growth, & Excellence For All
The Shorewood School District does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, creed, ancestry, pregnancy, marital or parental status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, physical, mental, emotional or learning disability, or any other legally protected status in its educational programs, activities, or employment with the District. The District also provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following designee handles inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director of Human Resources, Title IX Coordinator and Compliance Officer, 1701 E. Capitol Drive, Shorewood, WI 53211, 414-961-2854, firstname.lastname@example.org.