Centennial Academy Elementary
Head of Elementary School Divison Highlights
First Week of School Special Edition
Dear Centennial Academy Families,
As I think about the upcoming school year, I’m very excited about our continued journey together. We will continue to enhance our core value of EXCELLENCE through continuous improvement. Our goal is to strive to refine the ways we collaborate, solve problems together, and make decisions. Also, we will be putting a strong focus on continuing to build a village with our scholars, and you. Our elementary school mantra for this school year is: “EXCELLENCE through Exposure, Experiences, and Exploration.” It is with this belief that we will enhance our sense of community and school pride in being a “Centennial Academy Hero.”
The partnership between parents and teachers is vital in helping to create and maintain a safe school culture, climate, and a positive learning environment. As a village for our scholars, it is imperative that we are on the same team in ensuring our scholars respect all adults in our community as well as each other. Centennial Academy Elementary School Divison remains committed to CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT and EXCELLENCE.
On behalf of the entire Centennial Academy Elementary School Division staff, here’s to a year filled with learning! As we continue to emphasize on the importance of daily school attendance, I’ll close with an encouragement that we see your scholar ALL DAY, EVERY DAY!
Let’s take this journey to excellence together!
Ms. Keisha Blythers
Here’s some information you’ll need
Scholars arriving after 8:00 will be marked tardy. All scholars arriving late to school miss valuable class time. Classroom morning meetings take place between 8:00-8:15 and our literacy block for all scholars start at 8:15 promptly each morning. So, it is vital to your scholar's achievement that they are in school on time every day.
Early dismissal can occur between 11:30-2:15 please be mindful that early dismissals should only be for emergency situations. The school will be monitoring the pattern of scholars that are being released early, and a conference may be requested with the parent when a continuous pattern of early dismissals is noticed.
*Proper documentation must be submitted for scholars to make up and receive a grade for any work missed due to an early dismissal.
A closer look at the breakdown of what subject areas your scholars miss when you pick them up during the hours of 11:30-2:15:
- Kdg- Connections (Spanish, Art, Music, Media Center, or P.E.), Social Studies, Science, and Math
- 1st Grade- Science, Connections (Spanish, Art, Music, Media Center, or P.E), Math
- 2nd Grade- Science, Math, and Connections (Spanish, Art, Music, Media Center, or P.E)
- 3rd Grade- Math, Science, Connections (Spanish, Art, Music, Media Center, or P.E), and their WIN Block (which is a unique block of time to address “What I Need” as a scholar)
- 4th Grade- Math, Science, Literacy, Social Studies, and WIN Block (which is a unique block of time to address “What I Need” as a scholar)
Our school day ends at 2:55 every day and dismissal will begin at 3:00. Please read the following carefully – these procedures have all been designed with safety in mind:
- For those scholars who will be picked up by a car after school parents please remain in your car and follow the traffic flow through our parking lot and continue to pull forward along the curb until your scholar is in sight. DO NOT leave your car in this area as it is a fire lane. We will help your scholars watch for you. Scholars that are carpool will NOT be released to any adult walking up. This is to ensure the safety of your scholars.
- For those scholars that are walkers be sure they know who s/he will be walking to and from school with (older sibling, friend, etc.). If you walk together, pick up all scholars along the side of the building in the Yellow Zone.
- For YMCA, MLK, Boys & Girls Club scholars they will be released to their designated locations at various dismissal times.
- For bus riders Refer to the bus schedule for route information. IMPORTANT: It may be a good idea to have your name, address, and phone number in a small pocket of the backpack so your child can show the driver if unsure.
Late pickup begins at 3:30 for all elementary scholars. Any scholars that have not been picked up before 3:30 will be escorted to the late pickup location in the COURAGE POD.
- Anyone picking up a scholar from late pick-up must show their ID to the staff member on duty and be a person listed in Infinite Campus as a person we are authorized to release the scholar too.
- For any scholar that is not picked up by 3:45 pm, the administrator on duty will attempt to contact a parent and/or emergency contact. If contact is not made within 30 minutes, then the administrator will call the Atlanta Police Department who will make a determination if the situation warrants child abandonment and an appropriate call will be made to the Department of Family and Children Services.
- An accumulation of three late pick-ups may result in enrollment revocation for out of zone scholars. In zone scholars that have accumulated three late pick-ups will be asked to show proof of enrollment in an approved after-school program (Arthur Blank YMCA, MLK Center, or Boys & Girls Club).
School Office Hours
Our school office hours have been revised to help us clear our building to have all-hands-on-deck to ensure a smooth and safe dismissal for our scholars. The new school office hours are from 7:30-2:00 each day.
Remember to utilize the wide variety of online resources and social media sites to stay informed about school news and events.
Our school website: www.centennialacademycharter.org
Make 2018-2019 Your Scholar’s Most Successful School Year to Date
Attendance is very important and a key factor in academic performance. Please ensure that your scholar attends school regularly and arrives on time each day.
Speak with your teachers, counselor, and/or academic coordinator sooner, rather than later, when you have a problem or concern.
Become involved - Join the PTA, become a Parent Ambassador or volunteer to serve as a Room Parent!
Centennial Academy is committed to EXCELLENCE - high-quality programs, customer service, and family relations. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
From all of us at Centennial Academy, we look forward to a successful 2018-2019 school year!
Highlights From The First Week of School
Important Upcoming Event
- In addition, please note the school will be closed for business during this time. All staff and scholars will be off campus at Georgia Tech for this event.