Beginning with the Class of 2017
Did you know?
The state required graduation project is no longer required by the State of Pennsylvania beginning with the class of 2017. The graduation project has been replaced by a Service Requirement. The Lakeland School District requires all students, beginning with the class of 2017, to complete 20 hours of community service as a graduation requirement. Students must complete 20 hours of community service.
Parents can help
Help your child find opportunities
There are so many service opportunities in our community. Your children may need assistance in finding those opportunities. Frequently parents, grandparents, other family members or even neighbors are involved in service organizations and may be able to assist our students in earning their hours. Scouts, churches, fire companies, and youth sports are great places for our students to volunteer. Here are a few ideas.
- Youth baseball/softball season is coming up and I know that organizers will be looking for able bodied individuals to assist with field and facility cleanup.
- Maybe your athletic teenager wants to assistant coach or help out with a team.
- Summer is the perfect time to enslave....ummmm, enlist teenagers to help out at local church or fire company picnics.
- Junior firefighters easily earn more than 20 hours very quickly!
- Did you know that Mayfield has a Shade Tree Commission that contacts the school every year looking for some strong students to help clean up the community by raking leaves, removing dead foliage, spreading mulch etc.
- Often local hospitals and nursing homes look for students to volunteer in their facilities. Surely parents remember the "candy stripers" from when we were young?
No student should enter senior year without completing their service requirements. The opportunities are plentiful.
Do you have opportunities to provide?
Are you involved with an organization that needs volunteers? We'd love to hear from you so that we can pass those opportunities along to our students. Please don't hesitate to contact us. You'll find our contact information below.
The state required graduation project is still in place for the Class of 216.
Lakend Junior Senior High School Counselors
Mrs. deQuevedo - grades 8, 10, 12 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Valonis - grades 7, 9, 11 email@example.com