West Central High School
Parent Newsletter - OCTOBER 2022
7 Weeks in!
The students and staff are settling into the routines of school in the first 7 weeks of the year. Our FLEX block schedule started September 27. The purpose of FLEX is to address the significant challenges in student learning. High rates of absenteeism, incomplete assessments and the resulting learning delays are very concerning.
WHAT IS FLEX BLOCK? As a strategy to support student learning, West Central and St. Dominic High School will be using a five day, rotational FLEX block schedule. What this means is each class block on a rotating day will have an additional 40 minutes for teachers to work specifically with targeted students on achieving essential outcomes and completing essential assessments. Students who are meeting the outcomes and have all assessments completed and submitted will have more flexibility. Grade 11 and 12 students are able to complete homework, complete online course work, work on their own or group work in the common area or library, work out, etc. Grade 9 and 10 students will remain in class, but are able to use that time for independent study, home work, work experience modules, etc. Please see the attached image for the ABCDE FLEX block schedule.
First Prom Mtg! Thurs 27, Oct @ 6:00 in RDC Room - For Grads & Parents
This is the organizational Prom Meeting for the year. It is an important one to attend.
What's Been Happening!
What are some of the things that have been happening at West Central?
- We had a field trip to the Indigenous Youth Conference in Red Deer on Oct. 14.
- Indiginous Leadership offered beading project taught my May Moosomin Yellowface.
- Our first Halloween Dance put on by Student Council at the Lou Soppit Centre.
- Awards Night
- Leadership is making insulated cat houses for ROAR.
- Our many clubs continue for students - SAGA, Indigenous Leadership, Dungeon and Dragons, Film Club, Creative Writing Club.
- Volleyball Season is coming to a close and Basketball is starting up!
Halloween Dance was a Howler!
WCHS Awards Night
Parent Calendar Including Flex Bell Days
Here is a link to a Parent Calendar that includes the FLEX Bell Schedule
Reporting Student Absences - Important
Reporting Student Absences
Because of a reduction in staff, we are encouraging parents to use School Messenger to report absences.
1) Call 1-855-756-2797
2), Online https://go.schoolmessenger.ca/#/account/signup. *** Please note that School Messenger works for full days absents, but lates and less than full day absences will still get a phone call. This is an issue with the app we are working with the company to fix.
3) Download the app in apple store or google play
4) West Central website - follow the link
We appreciate your support during this transition.