Biology Research Project
What is Autism?
Autism is a mental brain disorder that affects a child's ability to communicate, reason with others, and interact with others. Approximately 1 child out of 68 births will have autism, also autism is 5 times more prevelant in boys (1 and 42) than girls (1 and 89). A familys income, lifestyles, and education levels doesn't effect a child's chance of developing autism.
How can you tell if a child has Autism?
- Communication: A child's language will develop slowly or sometimes not at all. They will say words without attaching there meaning to them. Sometimes the child will use gestures instead of actually saying the word.
- Social Interactions: A child will often spend their time alone rather than be with others. They will sometimes show little intrest in making friends. A child will often be less responsive to making eye contact and to respond back when someones talks to them.
- Sensory impairment: A child may become over-sensitive or under-responsive to pain, light, sound, smell, or touch.
- Play time: A child may demonstrate a lack of imaginative play. The child may also not imitate another child's actions, or initiate pretend games.
- Behaviors: A child may become overactive or very passive. A child may throw frequent tantrums for no apparent reason A child may become over-focused or absorbed with a single item, idea, or person; many demonstrate apparent lack of common sense. A child may display aggressive behavior or injure self.
What causes Autism ?
How is autism inherited.
- Autism is believed to be sexed linked by parents who have autism in their genes. A family that has a child with autism, the risk of the second child having the disorder is approximately 5%.
- Researchers have lead to conclude that autism exists on the 7th chromosome.
How is Autism treated?
- Although autism can't be cured their is treatments to help it
- People with autism get regular treatment for behavioral issues. They go trough speech therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and some medicines.
- The medicine Risperidone helps the treatment of symptoms associated with ASD of children including aggressive behavior, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.
- The medicine Aripriprazole helps slow the disorder down. researchers showed that kids who took the medicine shown a 25% or grater in the reduction of autistic related symptoms.
What kind of people are most likely to have Autism?
- Autism doesn't effect curtain people, everyone can have autism no matter what sex you are or where you live or how you eat.
- Today researchers have found that Autism is most common in kids now. In the 1900s it was 1 in 150 children would get autism now its 1 in 94.