7 Things you need to know and can share with others.
1. Make up training for August 8-9
2. Caddo Science Scope and Sequence Update
Major Changes Include:
- Kindergarten: Units 2 and 3 were swapped.
- First: Units 2 and 3 were swapped.
- Third: Units 2 and 3 were swapped.
3. LSTA Regional Workshop on Science Assessments (FREE)
LSTA board members are hosting FREE regional professional development workshops for members focused on Louisiana State Science Standards (LSSS) assessments through out the state. The LSTA Region VII Workshop will be held Saturday, August 25, 2018 at the Wand Gunn Professional Development Center (3908 Joplin Street, Shreveport, Louisiana 71108) from 9:00-12:00 PM. Sign-in will begin at 8:30 AM.
This workshop is FREE to educators. Your attendance qualifies you for FREE LSTA membership through October 24, 2018. Space is limited and will be first-come, first served.
Please complete the Google Form to register for the LSTA Region VII workshop on LSSS.
If you have any questions, please contact LSTA Region VII Representative, Jeff Holcomb at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Check Out LPB's July 2018 Education Newsletter
1. Don't forget this opportunity! Become a PBS Media Literacy Educator! Get recognized for your expertise in media literacy by one of the most trusted organizations in media. Whether you’re already a media literacy expert or looking to hone your skills, @PBSTeachers & @KQEDEducation have a path to certification for you. Get started at http://kqed.org/certification. What are the perks? Showcase your media literacy mastery with a certificate and digital badge, announce your certification to school and district leaders with a letter of recognition from PBS and KQED, and lead virtual and in-person PD events facilitated by PBS and LPB!
2. Alexander Hamilton, Grades 3-7: "The ten-dollar Founding Father..." has become quite popular lately! Have students learn more about the life of Alexander Hamilton through primary sources and a short video. (I know this is social studies, but I love primary sources.)
5. Astronauts Read, Conduct Experiments, and More!- Story Time from Space
“What you cannot imagine, you cannot do”
Now imagine Astronauts on the Space Station reading stories to and conducting science experiments for the children of Earth as the world rotates below. Imagine no more…it’s Story Time from Space! Check out the Video Library.
6. Science & Engineering Fair 2019
The Louisiana Region I Science and Engineering Fair will be held at the Bossier Civic Center, 620 Benton Road, Bossier City, LA on March 7-9, 2019. The BPCC will need all paperwork by February 13, 2019.
Please see the official memo from the Region I Science Fair Director, Dr. Elaine Cox.
7. LATM/LSTA Concurrent Sessions (1 hour) Proposal Due August 6
Proposals for 1-hour concurrent sessions to be held on Tuesday and/or Wednesday, October 23rd and 24th, 2018 are now being accepted. Proposals must be submitted via the online form by August 6, 2018. The Lead Presenter and Co-presenter(s) listed in this proposal must be registered for the conference. Registration should be completed by the Early Bird Deadline.
Bonus: DON'T FORGET YOUR COMPLIMENTARY LSTA MEMBERSHIP
In an effort to support teachers of science this year during the implementation of the revised LSSS, LSTA is extending a complimentary membership to ALL Louisiana teachers of science, administrators, and informal educators until October 24, 2018.
All you need to do is complete and send in a membership form!! Contact your regional representative or download a form from our LSTA web site!
And more good news for current members. While the LSTA Board is celebrating with the 1000 + Louisiana science teachers who attended the NSTA Area Conference in New Orleans, the board acknowledges the high cost of a national event. As a result, the Board has approved extending membership expiration dates from November of 2017 to November 2018.
Check Out the Caddo Science Newsletter Archives!
Check out the archive of the Caddo Science Newsletters.