BHS Warrior Wire
December 2018 Edition~ Brook Haven School~ Sebastopol, CA
Soaring Into The Second Semester
It is hard to believe that 2019 is here and we are halfway through our school year. As your student returns to school, please encourage them to finish the semester strong. They should take the time to meet with teachers, ask questions about grades and, if needed, catch up on missing assignments.
The second semester begins January 17th and it is a fresh start! Starting off on the right foot is so important. It is hard work to pull a grade up when work is missing or incomplete. One of the most important lessons of middle school is realizing the value of hard work to keep up with assignments, classwork, and homework. Students are learning that they earn their grades with every assignment they complete and turn in. Practice in these middle school years helps build a strong foundation for high school. Students in 6th, 7th & 8th grade are practicing these skills in Advisory twice a week. We hope that our families will also do their part to encourage strong organizational habits. Together, we help ensure that all of our students succeed!
As we look into the spring, we are gearing up for next year's enrollment. The best advertisement for our schools is your personal recommendations. We are offering Parent Tours and Student Shadow days for prospective students to visit and experience BHS first hand. If you know someone who is interested in learning more about Brook Haven, please encourage them to reach out to me. We are excited to share all that we have to offer.
I am so thankful that you are sharing your students with us as we move into 2019. Here's wishing you all a Happy New Year!
What It Means To Be A Warrior
We love catching our BHS Warriors being SAFE, RESPECTFUL, RESPONSIBLE & KIND! In the new year we will be honoring Warriors of the Week and will have two items up for Red Ticket Raffles- January's items are a brand new basketball & a Starbucks gift card.
Students have the opportunity to earn Red Tickets in class and throughout the campus. They can choose to save their tickets for larger prizes and privileges or enter in the monthly raffle. Be sure to ask your student how they've earned their Red Tickets! If you have a prize you're willing to donate or are willing to work on soliciting donations from local businesses, please let the office know. We would appreciate your help!
Volunteer of the Month
Busy Interact elves wrapping gifts for delivery.
Mr. Aiello- 5th Grade Teacher by Day, Firefighting-Gift Wrapper on the Weekends
Getting ready to head out to deliver gifts on the firetruck!
- 7th & 8th Grade Girls Volleyball is underway and the teams are both outstanding! They've got fantastic wins in their column and the 8th graders are looking forward to an end of the season tournament the first week of February.
- 7th & 8th Grade Boys Basketball games begin the end of January. A big thanks to Myriah Volk & Doug Feige for volunteering to coach again this year. We appreciate their help!
Art Brightens a Cloudy Day
Art students, Andrea & Ashlyn, proudly share their hard work on this beautiful 3-dimensional plaster butterfly. A great way to brighten the cloudy day!
Partner Work in PE
Rainy days brought PE indoors for dribbling practice and partner work as students navigated the gym and obstacles dribbling and keeping the basketball under control.
Clay Work in Art
Sixth-grade students are finishing their semester in the Art Studio working with clay. We can't wait to see the finished projects out of the kiln!
Art Brightens a Cloudy Day
Partner Work in PE
Check out the BNN YouTube Channel brought to you by our 7th & 8th Grade Video Production Class
Do you know a student who wants to learn more about Brook Haven? Please spread the word!
Dates to Remember
- Monday, Jan. 7- NO SCHOOL, Staff Development Day
- Tuesday, Jan. 8- Welcome Back to School!
- Wednesday, Jan. 16- Prospective Student Shadow Day
- Wednesday, Jan. 16- End of First Semester
- Thursday, Jan. 17- Report Cards Mailed Home
- Monday, Jan. 21- NO SCHOOL, MLK Jr. Day
- Wednesday, Jan. 23- Navigating Life with Tweens & Teens, Parent Discussion (6:30-8pm)
- Wednesday, Jan. 30- 7th Grade Field Trip to LBC for Call of the Wild Show
- Monday, Feb. 11- NO SCHOOL, Lincoln's Birthday
- Wednesday, Feb. 13- Prospective Student Shadow Day
- Monday, Feb. 18- NO SCHOOL, President's Day
- Saturday, Feb. 23- SEF Fundraising Gala at Park Side, 6pm