Ms. Jennings's 1st Grade Newsflash
November 15, 2015
First, and foremost, is my family. It seems like yesterday, I was a Cler-Mont parent, overwhelmed with full-time teaching responsibilities, plus raising three elementary kids. I can't believe that a few short years later, they are grown and almost gone!!! I have enjoyed the weekend with Jody and I'm looking forward to next Friday when Andrew and Carolyn will be home for a week!!!
I'm also incredibly humbled and blessed to have these 21 sweet kiddos to be a part of my life this year. I want you to know that I truly love these kids as if they were my own and I'm amazed at how much they have grown academically and socially already!! Thank you for sharing them with me this year.
As we head in to the holiday season, we have a lot to do still. Keep reading with your children and also having them read by themselves! Just 20 minutes extra a day makes a huge difference!!!!
My wish for all families is you have a truly blessed and joy filled Thanksgiving season!
What's Been Going On This Week...
- Reading--Last week, we concluded our unit of sequencing and took our DCA (District Common Assessment). The students performed very well!!! Next week, we begin analyzing story elements (characters, setting, problem and solution) and summarizing. As you listen to your child read, encourage book dialogue by asking about the characters, where the setting is and what the problem and solution is.
- Phonics/Sight Words This week, we will be working on long i words with silent "e".
Words that we will be learning to spell are: ripe, ride, bike, mile. As you practice writing these words, don't focus on memorizing the letters. Focus on stretching each word out, like a piece of bubble gum, and writing the sounds that they hear.
- Sight words: Fort Osage uses the Fry Sight Word Lists. First grade is expected to master the first 100 words by the END of 1st grade. The link will take you to a website that has printable lists for sight words. If your child has mastered the first hundred Fry words, you can do a google search for "Fry Words" and you can find links to all word lists. I also know there is a Fry Word app on the iPhone app store.
- Math--This week, we will be working hard with subtraction strategies and problem solving. More math homework will come home.
- Writer's Workshop--This week, we will write stories about Thanksgiving!!!
- Leader in Me--This week, we are focusing on kindness. We learned about manners and are working really hard at remembering to use "manner words" here at school and home. We had our monthly DEAL day on Friday!!! The kids look forward to working together with our buddy class and getting to know new friends. This time, we made friendship salad! YUM
Specials~November 16 to 20
- November 16--Library
- November 17--PE/Music
- November 18--Art
- November 19--Music/PE
- November 20--Library
- November 25-27 Thanksgiving Break
- December 3--1st Grade Program...How the Penguins Saved Christmas
- December 10 and 11--Santa Workshop
- December 11--Field Trip to Coterie Theatre to see A Charlie Brown Christmas
- December 22--Early Release
- December 23-January 4--Winter Break. Classes resume January 5.
Way to go Jaylee, Noa and Robert!!!! This month's Spotlight Students on Beginning with the End in Mind.
Keith at the Fall Party!!! :)
Megan and Haylee!!
Mom and Haylee at the Fall Party! Thanks for your help.