Lincoln's Community Update
July 19, 2020
In doing so, for me, I considered the role of educators during these uncertain times. The role has many facets...one of them is “provider”. The word “provider” was first used in non-educator contexts over 500 years ago. It is derived from the Latin providere, which means to look ahead, prepare, and supply. In the original nature of this word, we have have teams of educators who have and will be working day and night to consider how we might provide for our students during the current pandemic. How might we look ahead , prepare, and supply the learning they need? We want nothing more than to open our doors to the children in Kingsport and by doing so, continue our mission to better our community by preparing our children for the future. Things will look different. That is for certain, but working in collaboration with the health department, and in collaborative teams of administrators and district officials we feel confident that our students have quality options for a great start to the school year. We look forward to seeing you soon, and continuing or beginning a relationship with your family.
Lincoln's Meet and Greet--Friday, July 31st
We look forward to you joining us for a Meet & Greet opportunity on Friday, July 31, 2020. Since we may begin the school year operating in the yellow zone, when visitors will not be allowed in the building, we wanted to ensure an opportunity to meet the teachers your child(ren) are assigned this school year. Please see the schedule below divided by alphabet (last names). We have carefully divided the number of students/families to limit group size. With this in mind, we are requesting that only one adult per family attend this event. It is important that families adhere to the designated times below for your visit. Each designated time will start and end promptly so we can have time to disinfect before the next alphabet group arrives. Please do not come too early for your designated time, as we will not be able to accommodate you with indoor seating.
Last names A-C 9:00-10:00 AM
Last names D-J 10:30-11:30 AM
Last names K-Q 12:30-1:30 PM
Last names R-Z 2:00-3:00 PM
***Please note per the Sullivan County Mayor until August 12, 2020, masks are required so please wear your mask for the duration of your time in the building and while awaiting temperature checks and completion of screening forms.
Lincoln's Precautions and Safety Measures
- All will be Temperature Checked - All students will have a temperature check upon entering the bus or building. If a temperature is over 100, we will attempt a second read after a few minutes. If the second read is over 100, the student will discreetly be guided to the nurse’s office. Students with a fever may not return to school until they are fever free without medication for three days.
- Assigned Seats and Places in Line - As students travel and participate in their classes, they will be in assigned seats and order throughout the day. Knowing where students are located in proximity to each other is very important in the identification of those considered contacts by the Sullivan County Health Department. A contact is defined as someone who is within six feet for more than ten minutes without a mask.
- Cafeteria - During operation under green, we will alternate classes eating in the cafeteria and eating in their classrooms to reduce the number of students in the cafeteria at one time. If operating in yellow, all students will eat in the classrooms.
- Recess - Classes will be assigned designated zones on the playground and other areas around the school that will rotate throughout the week to keep students among their classroom “family” groups.
- Masks - Until August 12, 2020 or until we are aware of different guidance by the Sullivan County Health Department, students and staff must wear masks. After August 12, 2020, depending on guidance from Sullivan County Health Department, we may be able to return to strongly recommended wearing of masks.
- No Visitors - We will not be allowing visitors for lunch during any level of operation until further notice. Lunch is a time when groups are larger and masks are not in place while eating, so for everyone’s safety, visitors will not be allowed to eat lunch in the school cafeteria until further notice. If we are operating under yellow, no visitors are allowed in the building. Exceptions are legal meetings by appointment for IEPs, 504s, and medical needs.
- Shared Supplies - Students will not be sharing supplies this year. If you have purchased supplies, please bring them during the Meet & Greet time or on the first day. Remember, school supplies and clothing may be purchased tax-free beginning on Friday, July 31, 2020 and ending on Sunday, August 1, 2020.
Important Upcoming Dates
- KCS Learning Choice Intent Form is due Tuesday, July 21 it is linked HERE
- Placement letters mailed to families-July 22, 2020
- Teacher Meet and Greet Event-Friday, July 31 see times above
- First Day of School August 3, 2020
- Teacher inservice day-NO SCHOOL for students-August 14, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions
As you may be aware, our district has provided an FAQ to help supply answers to your most recent questions. You can find it HERE