September 19 - 23
Rise Up & Fill Up
Monday, Sep. 19th, 7:45-8:30am
8600 Candlelight Lane
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
World's Finest Chocolate Fundraiser
Starting on Wednesday, September 21st, Rising Star PTA will be asking our students to sell World’s Finest Chocolate bars to help fund events throughout the year such as field trips, assemblies and parties. Permission slips for your child to participate in this fundraiser will go home in backpacks on Tuesday and a copy is available below as well. Bars are $1 & there are 60 bars in a case.
CHOCOLATE BARS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE RETURNED ONCE TAKEN HOME. So checking out a case of chocolate means $60.00 needs to be returned to school by October 4th.
* New this year - we will have a table set up outside school every morning during the fundraiser for permission slip & money turn in. Please do not turn money into the office.
Thank you so much for your support!
Calling all Star DADS!
Star DADS (Dads And Dads Substitutes) is a program at Rising Star for Dads or positive male role models for students at Rising Star to become involved to make a positive impact and volunteer at the school. Star DADS may sign up to volunteer for a full-day or half-day (morning and afternoon), whichever works best for your schedule. This is a great way to help make a positive impact on your child’s and other students’ day at the Star.
After signing up, a Rising Star member will be in touch to help you get started with your Star DADS experience! We look forward to seeing you here at the Star!
****Were you unable to come to our Star DADS Pizza Night? You can view our presentation by clicking on it below.
Attention all Rising Star Parents!
Does your local business want to market themselves in a unique way while supporting our Rising Star students? If so, please consider being a business sponsor for this year's school Walk-a-Thon to be held on Friday, October 28, 2016.
As an area business, you can promote your business while making the Walk-a-Thon a success. As a sponsor, your donation will enhance student programs at Rising Star Elementary and provide your business great exposure to over 600 students and their families. We have a variety of established levels as listed below, but anything and everything is always welcomed.
BRONZE SPONSOR $25
- Name recognition in all Walk-a-thon communication to Rising Star families including Face-book posts, emails, and flyers.
SILVER SPONSOR $50
- Name and Logo recognition in Walk-a-thon communications to Rising Star families including Facebook posts, emails, and flyers.
GOLD SPONSOR $100
- The Bronze and Silver benefits plus: Shared sponsorship sign in front of the school for the two weeks leading up to the Walk-a-thon and a poster at the Walk-a-thon.
PLATINUM SPONSOR $500
- The Bronze and Silver benefits plus: Individual sponsorship sign in front of the school for the two weeks leading up to the Walk-a-thon and a sponsorship banner at the Walk-a-thon. Includes Corporate Membership with Rising Star PTA.
Please send donations to Rising Star Elementary, ATTN: PTA Walk-a-thon, 8600 Candlelight Drive, Lenexa, KS 66215. Our Kansas Exemption Number is KSPS4YS5KB. If you have any questions, please contact Heather Clark at 913-553-9953 (firstname.lastname@example.org) and please feel free to share with are business owners that you know might be interested in this opportunity!
Thank you in advance for helping enrich the educational experience of Rising Star students!
SCRIP cards for SALE!!
SCRIP cards for SALE!!
· If you shop at Target, Hy-Vee, Walmart, Sprouts, Walgreens, Home Depot (just to name a few)…
· If you eat at Panera, Starbucks, Subway, Red Robin, Chipotle (just to name a few)…
· If you utilize our Why Cook Wednesday nights at Papa Murphy’s…
· If you need a gift card for any occasion…
SCRIP is an easy solution!
The gift cards are worth face value ($25.00 will get you a card worth $25.00). For every card purchased, Rising Star gets a 2-16% rebate! Cool, right? There are three easy ways to get started:
1. SCRIP order form.
The order form will be in the Newsletter periodically. Just print it, fill it out and send it back with your child.
2. Online at shopwithscrip.com. Use the enrollment code (4ALCABFA17561).
3. Me! Feel free to email me your order and I will place it for you.
Questions?? Jen Hight
Please begin looking forward to a lesson over digital citizenship and Internet safety each week in our Smore. All of these lessons will be available both in the newsletter as well as on the official Star Library website here: http://thestar512library.weebly.com.
Today's Focus: Personal Information on the Internet
In the library, we have focused on teaching students the importance about not sharing personal information about themselves or others on apps, message boards, etc. It is important that your child is aware of what personal information is as well as when it is acceptable to provide this information. As a parent it is important to continually discuss with your child what information they should share online and when they should share it.
Students should only be providing or posting ANY personal information with parent's permission. Personal Information Includes:
* First & Last Name
* Photos of themselves & others
* Phone Numbers
* Apple IDs for Text Messaging
* E-mail Addresses
* Any Identifiable Information for your Child
Please continue to have conversations and sit down with your child about the apps they are using and the importance of being safe on the internet.
Here are some resources to help teach your child more about personal information: https://youtu.be/vUO7t92k4Xg (Grades K-2)
https://youtu.be/jJdHKqs_pi8 (Grades 2-5)
Please look forward to more tips about internet safety and digital citizenship next week!"
From the Library
From the Music Room
3RD GRADE MUSICAL AUDITIONS
3rd Grade will be auditioning for lead parts
this upcoming A-D schedule (starting Friday).
They will simply need to prepare 30 seconds of a song to sing (acapella); they also will be asked to read several lines from the show. This is optional! Also, the 3rd grade music
Classroom code is c6za70 if they would like to listen to the music at home.
From the Art Room
We’ve been very busying the art room! Students worked on sunflower pictures. Mrs. Matheis brought sunflowers to the art room for students to draw. They observed the sunflowers, concentrating on the texture of the sunflower. Students painted the sunflower using watercolors.
News from the Health Room
This Weeks Fruits & Veggies
2nd Grade Chat-N-Chew Intro
3rd Grade Chat-N-Chew Intro
4th Grade Chat-N-Chew
5th Grade Chat-N-Chew
SIGN UP FOR RISING STAR PTA
- $7.00 – Single
- $12.00 – Couple (same household)
When you join the PTA, you are helping fund so many great things for our students
- (Book Fair, Pictures, Field Trips and SO MANY MORE!)
You ARE NOT automatically put on every volunteer list known to man, however, we do WELCOME any and all volunteers!
FROM YOUR COMPUTER, TABLET OR EVEN YOUR PHONE!!!