Herbert Spencer (1820-1903)
Sociology Pd.7 Kelsea Cantley
Herbert Spencer's Life
2. Herbert came from a family of staunch dissenters.
3. Engineering is what influenced Herbert into various fields, mainly biology.
4. Examining fossils is where his interest in evolution came from.
5. Biology, Sociology, Psychology, and ethics in 1858 when conceived the fields.
6. In 1902 he was nominated for the Nobel Prize for Literature.
7. Predicted that humanity would become completely adapted to the requirements of living in a society with the consequential withering away of the state.
8. Herbert defended the role of women in society.
9. His second book was less successful than his first book.
10. Herbert's illness allowed him to only write a few hours each day.
Best Known For
- Developing and applying evolutionary theory to philosophy, psychology and the study of society.
- Helping to develop the functionalist perspective, one of the major theoretical frameworks in sociology.
- His political thoughts, primarily his defense of natural rights and for criticisms of utilitarian positivism.