Charging a person in a Civil Case
By Stephanie Dingle
What is a Civil Case?
Court proceedings in a Civil Case
2. Plaintiff hires an attorney, attorney files a formal complaint that states the parties and describes the lawsuit
3. Court summons the defendant ordering him/her to a certain date.
- Defendant sends a response admitting guilt or giving reasons why they are not, this is called pleadings.
4. Pretrial Conference is called by the judge, this is where most civil cases stop at because the suit is weak or they go through mediation or arbitration.
5. Case goes to trial
Court proceedings continued
7. Judge or Jury decides verdict
8. If defendant wins, plaintiff can appeal