Summer Reading & Literacy
with the Autrey Mill Library Learning Commons
Join our Summer Reading Challenge!
We are challenging all students and staff to read 1,000 minutes this summer! That's only 20 minutes per weekday!
Summer reading is critical for you to retain knowledge and skills learned throughout the previous school year. Not reading over the summer puts you at risk for falling behind your classmates. While this is not required, these resources for summer learning promotes and supports reading for pleasure and provides a springboard for reflection in the fall.
Can you complete our challenges?
- Join our Microsoft Teams for Summer Reading Challenges throughout the summer! Code: srphvqh -->> We have a 2020 Summer Reading Channel!
- Add a book review to our Summer Reading Flipgrid Challenge
- Read an ebook or Audiobook from Sora
- Read an online article on NewsELA, MackinVIA, or Wonderopolis - share what you're reading on our Microsoft Team!
Make reading social with Flipgrid!
Join us on Flipgrid throughout the summer to share out what you and your families are reading! Get book suggestions from classmates, teachers, and friends all summer long.
Can you complete the summer reading BINGO?
iPad and distance learning assistance is available via Microsoft Teams. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment. Join the library’s Microsoft Team srphvqh to complete activities!
Reading Resources for the Summer
We have an exciting reading service available through Sora, the student reading app, which provides free 24/7 access to ebooks and audiobooks. What better way to engage your student’s mind than through reading?
Starting April 15 – July 31, 2020, the Sora Sweet Reads program will offer a collection of Juvenile and Young Adult titles that will be prominently displayed in Sora for quick and easy unlimited access. You can explore the title offerings and learn more about the program here: https://resources.overdrive.com/sora-sweet-reads/.
How does it work?
Sora provides the quickest and easiest way to get started with digital titles from our school. Students can simply log in using school credentials and instantly access hundreds of ebooks and audiobooks on virtually any device. Get started today at https://soraapp.com or download the free Sora app for Android or iOS.
For YA audiences
- Register at https://bit.ly/mbaudio20
- Access all titles through the Sora app
- If you've never used Sora:
- Open Sora and tap I have a setup code (at the bottom of the screen).
- Enter this setup code: audiobooksync.
- Enter the email address you used to sign up for SYNC.
- Tap Explore (at the bottom of the screen) to see the week’s featured titles [SYNC 2020 starts April 30]
- If you already use Sora:
- In Sora, open the menu (in the top-right corner).
- Select Add a public library.
- Search for audiobooksync and select the library from the results.
For Parents and Guardians
Additional Learning Opportunities
Stretch your creative and problem solving skills over the summer with these fun but challenging activities.
AMMS Summer Math Optional Activities
Our math teachers have put together optional math activities to give students the opportunity to practice math skills over the summer in order to prepare for the upcoming school year and also review skills from this past year.
Links will be available on the AMMS website throughout the summer. You can also go ahead and preview the summer activities using the links below:
8th Grade Math Levels: CLICK HERE
7th Grade Math Levels: CLICK HERE
6th Grade Math Levels: CLICK HERE