Mrs. Greene's 3rd Grade
January 29, 2016
Last Week in January...
We had a great week in Room 9. I can hardly believe there is only 4 months of school left!! We have so much learning to do!
I am sending home Valentine bags for your child to decorate at home. He/she may bring them to school the week of February 8. Students may pass out Valentines brought from home beginning February 9. Remember, no sweet "treats" are to be given with Valentine cards. That is CCS district policy. Kelly Kuehl will be planning this year's party. The party will take place on Friday, February 12 from 1:30-2:25. If you would like to help, feel free to email her. If you would like to drop by to visit, we would love to have you!
We finished MAP Testing (reading, language, math) last week. We are glad that is over. You will receive a report in the next few weeks which will show your child's growth from August until now. I am excited to use the data we receive from the reports to form instruction specific to your child's needs!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Here is what is planned next week:
Reading: Last week in Unit 5: What Causes Matter to Change?
- Non-fiction text features
- Responding to a Writing Prompt
- We are able to decide if a prompt is asking us to write a narrative, expository, or persuasive piece of writing.
- Adding details to our writing (specific names, places, sensory language)
- Transparent, Translucent, Opaque?
- How does light travel?
- We are still observing our Wisconsin Fast Plants. Some students are observing flowers on their plants.
Math: Unit 7 Fractions
- Study Guide for Chapter 7 Test is coming home today (Friday, Jan. 29)
- We will review all concepts in class Monday and Tuesday next week (2/1 & 2/2)
- Unit 7 Test on Thursday, February 4.
Great Job, Ella for accepting and conquering the Math Challenge!
Did You Know...
2. We line up on the playground after recess and go straight to lunch. We line up by class and each class has the opportunity to be first to lunch every few days.
3. Teachers can write grants to our SRE PTO for classroom supplies. They are very generous and have provided amazing opportunities for our students.
4. I open the DOJO Store every two weeks. The most popular items in the store are COUPONS. I am looking forward to having pizza with a few groups of students the next few Fridays. These students purchased "Pizza Lunch with Mrs. Greene" from the store.