El Sol Parent Bulletin
Dear El Sol Families:
It's March, and we have a LOT going on this month!
March is National Reading month. We will have many fun events and activities going on for your child to take part in throughout the month. Below you will see information about Literacy Night and our March activity calendar.
Letters of Intent (LOIs) went home in the U.S. mail in Mid-February. Because El Sol is not a neighborhood school, families must opt IN to our program every year. If you do not turn in the Letter of Intent, your student will automatically get placed at their neighborhood school. Even more importantly, enrollment projections, which affect staffing and class sizes, are mainly based on the LOIs. Please be sure to write "El Sol Elementary" in the box for your requested school. Fifth grade families who wish to have your child take part in the middle school Spanish Literature class must request "Maple Street Middle School-Spanish Literature Class". Please note that requesting a certain middle school does not guarantee placement, but students who request it for the Spanish Lit class will be flagged for special consideration. Thank you to the families who have already turned in their Letters of Intent!
See below for additional information regarding:
Bond proposal (El Sol is on the proposal for a new building!)
Principal, El Sol Elementary
Congratulations, February Star Students!
On February 28th we held a virtual Star Student Assembly to celebrate our February Star Students of the month. We then lined up in the halls for a Star Student parade through the school, where Star Students were applauded as they passed each classroom. Keep up the great work!
Ms. Greenman: Aria
Ms. Browning: Arianna
Ms. Aguirre: Katharine
Ms. Mazei: Zara
Ms. Salinas: Mayrin
Ms. Jn Baptiste: Immanuel
Mr. Gay: Marshall
Ms. Martinez: Valeria
Ms. Cuppernull: Lillian
Ms. Vahue: Madison
Ms. Nevil: Evelyn
Ms. Buehler: Anamarielis
Ms. Gomez: Shania
Mr. Plaza: Ysabel
Upcoming District and School events
El Sol Literacy Night: "Leer nos mueve" / "Reading Moves Us" & Title I Parent Presentation
Wednesday, Mar 2, 2022, 05:00 PM
March is Reading Month!
Wednesday, Mar 9, 2022, 05:30 PM
604 West Vine Street, Kalamazoo, MI, USA
PTO Zoom Meeting
More information will be shared prior to the meeting
ZOOM MEET LINK TO FOLLOW
Thursday, Mar 17, 2022, 05:45 PM
MSTEP testing starts in April
KPS Bond proposal - El Sol may get a new building!
On May 3, 2022, the Kalamazoo community will have the opportunity to vote on a bond proposal. If voters approve this bond proposal, there is expected to be NO increase in the tax rate.
This bond would provide $197.1 million to fund capital improvements in our 24 schools. The Kalamazoo Public Schools May 2022 bond proposal was developed to invest in our community's future. The bond funds will enable KPS to invest in safety and security; invest in buildings, classrooms, and mechanical upgrades; and invest in technology.
Election day: May 3, 2022
Polls are open: Tuesday, May 3, 2022 from, 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Registered voters may cast a ballot at the polling location established by their city/township.
Absentee voting: Contact your precinct; ballots will be available by March 19, 2022.
For more information on voting: michigan.gov/vote
If the Bond Proposal passes, El Sol will receive a new building!
Mark Your Calendar!
Tuesday March 1: March Reading Month begins
Wednesday March 2: Literacy Night: Leer nos mueve / Reading Moves Us
Wednesday March 9: Kindergarten enrollment
Friday March 11: No school for students
Monday March 14: First day of third trimester
Thursday March 17: PTO Zoom meeting
Tuesday March 22: Spring Conferences 4:00 - 8:00
Thursday March 24: Spring Conferences 12:00 - 8:00
Friday March 25: No School
Monday March 28 - Friday April 1: SPRING BREAK!
Monday April 4: School resumes
Communities in Schools
Hola Familias de El Sol,
- El programa de Girls On The Run esta en camino para empezar el 21 de Marzo. Esperen un anuncio de bienvenida el la proxima semana para ninas que esten participando.
- La proxima semana estaremos revisando el progreso de nuestro grupo de asistencia para el mes de Febrero. Estudiantes tienen la oportunidad de progresar con su asistencia cada mes y tienen la oportunidad de recibir su premio para ese mes.
- Nuestro club de leer para grados 4o y 5o ha comensado! Estudiantes de CIS grados 4o y 5o estaran moniterando sus lecturas mientras hacemos actividades divertidas para discutir nuestras lecturas.
- Girls On The Run esta en camino! Padres esten attentos para la carta de bienvenida para Girls On The Run con infromacion de horarios y lugares de practica.
Hello El Sol families,
- Girls On The Run is approaching and will begin March 21st. Expect a welcome letter within the next week for girls who are participating.
- Next week we will be monitoring our attendance group's progress for the month of February. Attendance group students will have the opportunity to improve their attendance every month and have the opportunity to receive their prize for improvement for that month.
- Our 4th and 5th grade CIS book club has started! CIS 4th and 5th grade students will be monitoring their reading in our club while participating in fun activities to discus our readings.
- Girls On The Run is on its way! Parents keep an eye out for Girls On The Run Welcome letters coming home with information on practice times and locations.
Gracias / Thank you,
Perla Medina Cano
Communities In Schools of Kalamazoo
Site Coordinator: El Sol Elementary