Freshwater, Saltwater, and Brackish Water
- 71% of Earth's surface is covered in saltwater.
- There are over 500,000 seperate species in the world's oceans including the largest animal in the world, the blue whale.
- Most animal and plant life exists in the first few hundred feet.
- The ocean is still the most unexplored part of our planet.
Example: Pacific Ocean
1. Covers less than 1% of Earth's surface
2. Includes lakes, rivers, ponds and streams
3. Lakes can be made naturally or man-made
Example: Grapevine Lake
Brackish Water Ecosystem
1. Usually Estuaries where a fresh body of water meets a salt body of water.
2. Many freshwater plants and animals adapt to slight salt content in water.
3. Trees adapt to use saltwater, ducks adapt to eating saltwater plants, etc.
Example: Thames River in London