New Book News!
I can't wait to read these books...after you, of course :)
The Marvels by Brian Selznick
- historical fiction (F SEL)
- like Selznick's other books (pictures plus text but you can't skip the pictures!)
- first 400 pages tell one story set in 1766, then jumps to 1990 to tell another story--but the stories are related
- one reviewer: "this is a powerhouse of a book"
- book trailer: https://youtu.be/KwDThu5n9pY
I am Princess X by Cherie Priest
- mystery fiction (F PRI)
- Friends May and Libby created a comic strip called Princess X when they met in 5th grade--before Libby (supposedly) tragically died in a car accident. Now, years later, May sees pictures of Princess X appearing in public, and she's sure no else knows about the comic. May starts to think that maybe her friend is not gone after all, and must figure out the clues to uncover the truth.
- some graphic novel elements, lots of online references
The Always War by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- dystopian fiction **think Hunger Games type of books** (F HAD)
- Tessa lives in a futuristic America where there has been war for more than 70 years. When a boy refuses an award for being a hero and then takes a plane to the front lines of the war, she follows him. What they see there opens their minds to what war is and isn't.
- what people are saying: cliffhanger endings of chapters, lots of action
Fuzzy Mud by Louis Sachar
- environmental mystery fiction (F SAC)
- The mud in the woods near where Tamaya and Marshall live seems innocent, but when Tamaya gets some on her hands and then notices a rash, she realizes it might not be after all, and it is endangering the entire town.
- In between chapters about Tamaya and Marshall are chapters explaining secret Senate hearings with scientists who have developed this "mud."
- what people are saying: fast paced plot but also lots to think about
Took: a ghost story by Mary Downing Hahn
- horror fiction (F HAH)
- When Daniel, Erica, and their parents move from Connecticut to backwoods West Virginia, weird things start happening. All they know about the area is a witch that lives in the woods and a girl that disappeared 50 years ago. When Erica disappears, Daniel realizes he must be the one to save her.
- what people are saying: this one is scary, best read in the daylight!