PLEASANT VALLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL * * * March 19, 2023
Welcome to another edition of the Patriot Press.
- March late start Wednesdays 1st, 8th, 15th, 29th
- Wednesday March 22nd is NOT late start, early release 8:10-11:40 for conferences
- March 22nd & 23rd early release days for conferences, 8:10 - 11:40
- Spring Break April 1-9, NO SCHOOL
- World language testing registration is Dec. 5 - March 24
Spirit Week March 27-31 - see themes below
ASB Community Service Supply Drive March 27 - 31
- 8th grade forecasting for fall classes at Prairie
- Future Falcons Night at PHS March 21st 5-7 pm
- PVM Spring Band Concert Thursday March 30th, 7pm
Earn High School Credit via Challenge Exams
New ELA Curriculum coming soon to your child's classroom
Right At School - spring break camps
PV PTA Family Movie Night, Friday, April 14th 6:30 pm
- PTA News
- Yearbook orders may be placed starting Monday, Jan. 23rd
- Co-ed track - registration for 6th -8th graders starts this Monday, March 20th
- Calling next year's kindergartners!
- Counselor's Corner
- Notes From the Nurse
- BGPS Crossing Guard and other Employment opportunities
- Inclement weather/school closure information
- Family Resource Center information
- Menu, info. links, contact info - hours, calendars, handbooks
- 2023-24 school year district calendar available now
- Reporting absences
* Future Falcons Night at PHS March 21st 5-7 pm
* March 22nd & 23rd parent/teacher conferences. In the next couple weeks teachers will contact families of students who they need to conference with. If you do not hear from a teacher and wish to have a conference, please contact your student's teacher or the school office.
* Spirit Week March 27th - 31st
* PVM Spring Band Concert Thursday March 30th, 7pm (band students to report at 6:30 pm)
* PV PTA Family Movie Night, Friday, April 14th 6:30 pm
Spring Break April 1-9 - NO SCHOOL
World language testing registration is Dec. 5 - March 24
Battle Ground Public Schools offers students the opportunity to earn world language high school credits through remote world language testing. Students who test proficiently can earn up to 4 world language credits on their high school transcript. Students who earn credits and meet their high school English language arts district and state graduation requirements are eligible to earn the Seal of Biliteracy with their high school diploma. Credits earned and Seal of Biliteracy awards will be assigned prior to graduation in June. Battle Ground Public Schools partners with Avant Assessment and LTI for world language testing.
Applications are open now on the district website, along with a schedule of upcoming testing dates.
Spirit Week - March 27th - 31st
Teachers will let their homerooms know if they are red or blue as we get closer to the Red and Blue Games.
ASB Community Service Drive
8th grade forecasting for fall Prairie HS classes
March 21st Future Falcons Night at PHS for students/families 5-7pm
March 30th PHS counselors visit PVM during 8th grade history classes
PVM Spring Band Concert Thurs., March 30th, 7pm
Students participating in the concert should be at school by 6:30 pm to prepare for the concert.
Earn High School Credit via Challenge Exams
Students must register no later than April 14, 2023. Late registrations will not be accepted
Read more about this opportunity on the BGPS website HERE.
Download application form below.
New ELA Curriculum coming soon to your child's classroom -review materials March 28th online, March 29th in-person
Starting fall 2023, teachers will use new books and lessons to teach reading and writing to students in kindergarten through eighth grade. You are invited to participate in one of the following sessions to learn about the materials, how they were selected and how they will be taught.
Tuesday, March 28
6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
The webinar will be recorded and available for viewing afterward.
Wednesday, March 29
4 p.m. to 7 p.m. (drop in anytime)
Chief Umtuch Middle School media center
You can also review the materials online until May 2023.
Over the past year, a committee of parents, guardians, teachers and community members has evaluated the new materials. Learn about the process and find out what teachers think.
Скоро в классе вашего ребенка: Новые материалы по английскому языку
Начиная с осени 2023 года, учителя будут использовать новые учебники и уроки для обучения чтению и письму учащихся с подготовительного по восьмой класс. Вам предлагается принять участие в одной из следующих сессий, чтобы узнать о материалах и о том, как они были отобраны и будут преподаваться.
Вторник, 28 марта
18:00 до 19:00
Вебинар будет записан и доступен для просмотра позже.
Личный обзор материалов
Среда, 29 марта
16:00 до 19:00 (заходите в любое время)
Медиацентр средней школы Chief Umtuch
Вы также можете ознакомиться с материалами онлайн до мая 2023 года.
За последний год комитет родителей, опекунов, учителей и членов сообщества оценил новые материалы. Узнайте о процессе и о том, что думают учителя.
Viene pronto al salón de clase de su estudiante: Nuevos materiales del Arte del Lenguaje
A partir del otoño del 2023, los maestros van a utilizar nuevos libros y nuevas lecciones para enseñar a leer y escribir a los estudiantes del kinder hasta el octavo grado. Usted está invitado/a a participar en una de las siguientes sesiones para aprender más acerca de los materiales, cómo las seleccionaron, y cómo serán impartidas.
Martes, 28 de marzo
6pm a 7pm
La charla será grabada y disponible después de la reunión.
Revisión de materiales en persona
Miércoles 29 de marzo
4pm a 7pm (pasen en cualquier momento)
Centro de medios Escuela Secundaria Chief Umtuch
También pueden revisar los materiales en línea hasta mayo del 2023.
Durante este año, un comité de padres, tutores, maestros y miembros de la comunidad han evaluado los nuevos materiales. Aprenda acerca de este proceso y escuchen la opinión de los maestros.
Sign up for Right At School's spring break camp
Right At School's annual spring break camp is back this year at Captain Strong Primary School (1002 NW 6th St. in Battle Ground). This year's theme is "Quiet on set!" Campers in kindergarten through seventh grades will live out their Hollywood dreams by becoming actors, directors, writers and more as they explore the fascinating world of film. Students will discover the art of special effects through hands-on activities and experience the physical demands of stunt coordinators.
Camp will be held Monday through Friday, April 3-7, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day. The cost is $50 per child, per day. Learn more and register.
PV PTA Family Movie Night, Friday, April 14th doors open 6:30 pm, movie starts at 7 pm
PV PTA news
- NEW PTA WEBSITE: PleasantValleyPTA.org,
- Sign up here to receive info on upcoming events and volunteer opportunities: https://pleasantvalleypta.org/volunteer
- Movie Night: April 14th, Save the date! More details to come.
- Stuff the Bus: April 24-28th, More details to come!
Yearbook orders may be placed starting Monday, Jan. 23rd
You may pay by cash (exact change is appreciated, we do not have a change box), or check - made out to PVM. Payment must be made at the time you place your order.
We will receive a limited number of yearbooks, so order early to ensure you get one!
Co-ed track - registration for 6th -8th graders STARTS THIS MONDAY, March 20th
Registration opens March 20th; you won't be able to sign up before that.
Registration is signing up in Family ID, or updating info. and waivers in Family ID if you have played another sport here at PVM, link found here:
You will also need to turn in a sports physical if you haven't already, and pay the registration and participation fee of $40. The registration fee can be paid with cash (exact change appreciated, we have no change box) or check made out to PVM at the PVM office, or pay online through this link :https://wa-battleground.intouchreceipting.com/
Any questions please reach out to Cathy at PVM, 360-885-5500.
Calling next year's kindergartners!
Online enrollment is open for 2023-24 kindergartners. Any child who will be 5 years old by Aug. 31, 2023, is eligible to enter kindergarten in the fall. To enroll, parents will need proof of their child's birth date (such as a birth certificate) and a signed and completed Washington state certificate of immunization status form or a completed certificate of exemption form. Please note that the state of Washington requires that immunization records be medically verified.
Have your documents ready and enroll online now so that you and your child can attend kindergarten orientation in the spring.
Battle Ground Public Schools now offers Transitional Kindergarten for children who will turn 4 years old by Aug. 31 and meet certain eligibility requirements. The program is offered at Daybreak, Glenwood Heights, Tukes Valley and Yacolt primary schools. Visit our Transitional Kindergarten website to learn more about the program and fill out an online eligibility form by June 16. Families who qualify will be notified after June 23.
Happy New Year!
If you are interested in having your student involved in a group with a focus of goal setting, organizing work, and navigating their google calendar, please email me. firstname.lastname@example.org .
There are great resources available for social-emotional support via the Battle Ground Public Schools website. On the district page there are links that lead you to more information for different topics. Here is the link to our school district's page: Social Emotional Supports
NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is also a great resource: NAMI
Notes from the Nurse
Hello Pleasant Valley Middle School Families.
- Nurse Janel would like to remind us that everyone will still need to put on a mask when in the health room area, as it is a health care setting.
- Students who arrive at school with a fever of 100.0 or above will be sent home. Please don't try to "push through" the day. When staff or students have a fever they are most likely to pass their illness on to others.
- Please wash your hands before eating, after using the restroom, after sneezing or using a tissue for your face. Hand hygiene is very important and can eliminate a majority of germs that we spread! Also, if you do not feel well or are sick please, PLEASE stay home to get well!
PVM nursing team
COVID safety in schools
The district posts information about cases in schools on a COVID-19 dashboard.
General guidelines and requirements
- Staff and school volunteers are no longer required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Volunteers must still complete the standard clearance process.
- It is recommended that people with symptoms of an infectious disease stay home and isolate themselves from others for at least five days.
- If someone shows symptoms of an infectious disease while at school, it is recommended that they isolate away from others and be sent home.
- While general masking is not required in schools, masks or face coverings are still required in school health rooms.
- Anyone may choose to continue wearing a mask on school grounds. We expect our students and staff to continue to show respect for one another and the many different viewpoints that make up our community.
- Rapid test kits will continue to be available in buildings for use at home.
Parents and guardians should report positive test results to their child’s building(s). Get contact information for each school.
If you need to email our nurses:
School office 360-885-5500
BGPS Corona Virus guidelines/requirements page
Medication at school
If your student requires any medication at school, please be sure we have a current doctor-signed medication at school form and, if necessary, medical orders for your student, for each medication. Medications at school must be unexpired. Please communicate with our nurses if you are not sure if your child's medication is past its expiration date.
BGPS Crossing Guard and other employment opportunities
Inclement Weather and emergency closure information.
How we notify families
- Automated Phone Calls & Emails: Please keep your contact information updated in Skyward (Family Access) or contact your school office. On weather days, calls begin going out at 5:30 a.m. to families who have not opted out.
- Information Line: (360) 885-5343 (Updated by 6:00 a.m. on impacted days).
- District Website: Bookmark www.battlegroundps.org for easy access.
- Social Media Accounts
- Flash Alert: Sign up for email alerts or download the mobile app for updates about emergency and non-emergency issues.
- TV and radio stations, local newspapers
Family and Community Resource Center
Battle Ground Public Schools’ Family and Community Resource Center (FCRC) helps meet the needs of families faced with housing instability and similar economic challenges.
While a main goal of the FCRC is to assist families experiencing housing instability, it can also help connect families with many other types of resources and is intended to respond to the changing needs of the community.
The FCRC is a continuation of the district’s joint efforts with the Battle Ground Education Foundation, an all-volunteer, nonprofit community organization whose purpose is to leverage community resources to help maintain quality education for all students in Battle Ground schools.
The Family Resource Guide is full of contacts to aid families in connecting with agencies who are able to help with a great variety of needs. Please click the link below to view this helpful guide.
(click below to be redirected to the FCRC page)
Family and Community Resource Center (FCRC)
Phone: (360) 885-5434
School lunch information
There will be a charge for all school meals beginning on the first day of school, Aug. 31, 2022. The USDA waiver that allowed school districts to provide free breakfast and lunch expired at the end of last school year. For the 2022-23 school year, families will be charged regular prices for school meals. Free / reduced meal applications for the 2022-23 school year are available on Skyward (Family Access).
NOTE: Those who qualify for free/reduced lunch may also be eligible for decreased school fees. To learn more and to apply, visit https://www.battlegroundps.org/free-and-reduced/.
BGPS information links
Bus routes (to be updated the week before school)
Free/reduced lunch application
Medication at school and other health information
Nutrition services (menus, meal prices)
Reporting Absences - Russian/Ukrainian attendance line information
Our Russian/Ukrainian Support team would like to announce the new attendance line for Russian and Ukrainian families.
PLEASANT VALLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL MISSION
We believe ALL students can experience academic and personal growth.
PLEASANT VALLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL
Absence reporting: 360-885-5512
District office switchboard: 360-885-5300
Late start Wed.: 9:10 - 2:40
Early Release: 8:10 - 11:40
2-hr late start: 10:10 - 2:40
2023-24 school year district calendar available now
Just select the link for the year you wish to view and the language in which you wish to view it.
Battle Ground Student and Family Handbook 2022-2023
Pleasant Valley Middle Handbook 2022-2023
* * *
The Battle Ground Public Schools provides equal opportunity in programs and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin/language, creed/religion, sex, sexual orientation including gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a service animal by a person with a disability, age, marital status, honorably discharged veteran or military status, HIV/Hepatitis C status. The district provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other
designated youth groups. Contact the following regarding questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Tom Adams, Director of Student Services, email@example.com, Title IX Compliance Officer, 360.885.5415; Michelle Reinhardt, Executive Director of Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org, Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator/Section 504/ADA Coordinator, 360.885.5481; or a letter may be submitted to the designated coordinator at the Battle Ground Public Schools, PO Box 200, Battle Ground, WA 98604
* * *
March 19, 2023