Las Positas Updates
5/13/22 Volume 1 (37)
Thank you, families, for your love and support as we celebrated our wonderful staff. Our teaching and support staff love and truly care about our young learners and it is so great to also be appreciated and celebrated. So, thank you for making our staff feel appreciated!
This month, we continue to celebrate the value of IB Learner Profile of being reflective.
We all need to be reflective in order to become better people.
How can parents help to develop students who are reflective at home?
Have your child stop and think throughout the day about their behaviors. Assist him/her with focusing on the following prompts:
~Is what I'm doing appropriate? If so, explain why it is. If not, explain how it is not.
~How can I change my behavior? Have your child think of positive ways to make changes.
~Is the situation I am in a positive situation? If not, how can I make it a positive situation?
~Am I doing my best? Am I working my hardest?
Parents can model the above thinking process by talking aloud to themselves, ask and answer yourself these questions about things you are doing throughout your day. This way your child sees you working through the Reflection process, and can use your examples as their models to learn from.
* Model how to make mistakes, how to fail. And then, how to pick yourself up and dust yourself off. It's okay to make mistakes, making mistakes is part of learning. Being Reflective teaches us how to grow and learn from both mistakes and from positive experiences.
Let us be better citizens by striving to be humble and being life-long learners with our kids.
Discussion questions for ruthie and the (not so) teeny tiny lie
1) Explain how Ruthie felt when she found Martin's teeny tiny toy camera?
2) How do you think Ruthie and Martin were feeling at the end of the school day when it was time to go home? And why were they feeling those feelings?
3) Explain why Ruthie's teacher took the teeny tiny camera to keep in her teacher desk over night.
4) Why did Ruthie have a stomach ache all night? Why do you think she started crying at night?
5) Ruthie seemed to love Martin's teeny tiny camera, why wasn't having it making her feel happy?
6) Explain why you think Ruthie told the teacher that the camera really wasn't hers in school the next day.
7) How would you feel if a friend took your toy and said it wasn't yours?
8) What does integrity mean?
5th Grade Exhibition Coming Soon
When are you available?
BOGO Book Fair 5/16 ~ 5/20 at Lunch
Reflective Students Grown at Las Positas
Getting Down and Dirty
TK friends plant mystery seeds... we'll see what they are once they sprout.
1st Time to the Zoo
Our SDC friends visit the zoo, thanks to our PTA.
Principal Wilson on Duty
Few of our students fulfilled their duties as "Principal for an Hour" which was an opportunity they traded in with their Pride Tickets.
Every Friday is Spirit Gear: Wear Las Positas Gear or colors
- 5/16- New Playground structure put in (takes 2 weeks)
- 5/20- Minimum Day (school is out at 12:40PM)
- 5/26- 5th grade exhibition (5:30 PM in the MPR)
- 5/30- Memorial Day (No school)
- 5/31- Awards (1-5th) and BMX assembly
- 6/1- Awards Assembly (TK/K)
- 6/2- Last day of school/Minimum Day (school is out at 12:40PM)