August 5, 2021
Dear Adelante Selby Spanish Immersion families,
I hope everyone is well and enjoying the last days of summer vacation. I am excited to welcome everyone back and share some important dates and information concerning the return to school. As you are aware, all students and staff are returning to school in person and will follow a regular schedule. Students and staff will continue to wear masks and be mindful of washing hands and not touching the face as a precaution. There are no more restrictions concerning distancing in the classroom as long as students and adults remain masked. Parents you will need to continue to fill out a daily Wellness Check and hand it to the Yard Duty/Staff person when dropping your child off for school in the morning. The Wellness Check attests that your child does not have any COVID-19 symptoms and no fever. We will no longer be doing temperature checks of students at the drop off as that is part of the Wellness Check done by parents. Recently, the San Mateo County Office of Education made updates to the Pandemic Recovery Framework. Our School District has used the new information to update the pages (English and Spanish) on the district website that address how our students will learn safely in 2021-22. The information can be found here:
- Roadmap to Learning Safely During My New School Year
- Paso a Paso Para Aprender Seguros en el Nuevo Año Escolar
Parents and students should also review and sign the Expectations document and turn them in at MAZE day:
We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our students can achieve at their highest potential. We recognize that in order to be successful in school our students need support from both the home and the school. We will do our very best as a staff to carry out our responsibilities so that students can be successful. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring he/she:
1) attends school daily, arrives on time, and is ready to learn in dress code
2) completes all homework assignments given by teacher
3) reads 30 minutes daily to develop love of reading and fluency
4) shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of what’s happening at school
5) informs you if he/she needs more support in any subject area
6) knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school and go to college
Back to School MAZE Day will be held on Wednesday, August 11th: Last Names A-M 9:00-11:30AM; Last Names N-Z 12:30-3:00PM. We will be at the blue tables outside located behind the office between the 100-200 wings for MAZE day(not inside the cafeteria/MUB).
MAZE day is an opportunity to:
- get copies of the Daily Wellness Check that need to be turned in at drop off daily
- turn in signed Safety Expectations
- get assistance filling out the Back to School Update
- get assistance filling out the Student Education Benefit Form
- get assistance completing the Unidos Membership Toolkit
- sign up for After School Care Programs: REACH K-5th grades, YMCA TK,-2nd grades, Sienna Youth Center 3-5th grades
- pick up a pre-ordered or purchase the '20-'21 school year book
- purchase school spirit clothing
- sign up to volunteer for School Site Council or the English Language Advisory Committee
- sign up to volunteer with Unidos PTO for Art in Action, to be a Room Parent, to help with Project Cornerstone Lessons in TK-2nd grade classes, and help with community events
- sign up for the school Musical/Play
- sign up for after school Dance Class with Danny G
- GET YOUR CHILD's SCHEDULE and find the location of the teacher's classroom
Please help me to WELCOME our new teachers/staff to our school(see photos below).
- Marisa Selfa will be teaching Kindergarten out of Room 203
- MaryJane Vallejo will be teaching 2nd Grade out of Room 409
- Jorge Egido will be teaching 4th grade Social Studies/ ELD out of Room 502
- Jose Luna is our new Community School Coordinator, and will be working our new Family Center adjacent to our office
- Natalie Rivera will be our new Office Assistant replacing Angelica Caballero who retired.
- Vickie Neves, former Kindergarten teacher, will be our new school Mental Health Counselor.
Student Education Benefit Form
- For the 2021-22 school year, because all students eat for free, the district will not collect the usual Free or Reduced-Price Meal (FRPM) Applications. Instead, the district will ask households to complete an online Student Education Benefit Form.This is a simple household income survey that can be completed online as a means of establishing eligibility of enrolled students for LCFF supplemental funding. The data collected is also acceptable for other non-LCFF funding allocations such as Title 1, E-Rate reimbursement (Schools and Libraries Program), and other state and federal grants that may be allocated in the future.
It is very important that all families please complete the form below (All information is confidential):
It is a fast and convenient way to apply for benefits with added privacy. Remember to list all your children and all the adults living in your household.
Our school office is now open and the office hours are 8:00-4:00pm. Entering the office, all visitors must:
- wear a mask
- have your temperature screened at the kiosk
- use hand disinfectant when entering the office also at the kiosk
A BIG SHOUT OUT and THANK YOU to Penny Cifuentes for her hard work publishing the yearbook! Please note that due to COVID-19, yearbook printing and distribution was delayed. Yearbooks for the 2020-21 school year are now here and available. If you already ordered one, the yearbooks will be distributed at MAZE day. It’s not too late to purchase a yearbook at MAZE day for $20.00 (cash only) while supplies last.
Important August Dates
- 8/11 Back to School/MAZE Day
- 8/12 Food Distribution 3:30pm
- 8/15 TK/K Ice Cream Social 1:00-2:30pm Kinder playground area
- 8/18 First Day of School
- 8/27 Principal's Coffee 8:30AM