Frying up a Roasty Dinner
The How To Steps
- The action of cooking something in an oven or over an open fire.
- Often used for large meals with the meat placed fat side up.
- Should be checked with a thermometer.
- Healthy form of cooking.
Most Common Meats:
- Ground Beef
- Oven Roasts
- Pot Roasts
- Beef Brisket
- Stir-fry Beef
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 red or black plums, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus 6 sprigs
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 boneless loin pork chops (about 3/4 inch thick)
- Heat oven to 350° F. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add plums, thyme leaves, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until plums soften and release their juices, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add remaining oil. Season chops with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook until browned on 1 side, about 5 minutes.
- Turn, top each chop with 1 thyme sprig, and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Spoon the plums around the chops and transfer skillet to oven. Roast until the pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the chops and plums among plates.
- - Pan frying is a form of frying characterized by the use of minimal cooking oil or fat.
- - Uses a shallow pan or a skillet.
- - Used to brown ground beef
Most Common Meats:
- 4 skinless flounder-fillets
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Flour, for dredging fish
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 small bottle capers
Wash fillets in cold water and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dredge fillets in flour. Place oil and 2 tablespoons butter in flat, heavy-bottomed skillet and heat on medium-high until butter melts. Keeping heat at medium-high, cook fish on 1 side about 3 minutes (more or less, depending on size of fillets), until deep brown and crispy. Turn fish and cook on second side, about 3 minutes. Turn fish only once.
Remove fish to serving platter. Turn off heat. Into hot skillet, whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Add lemon juice. Pour in capers, liquid and all. Whisk. Pour thin sauce over fish fillets. serve at once.
More Recommended Recipes
Coriander and Cumin Rubbed Pork Chops